Looking for Basic RTE Error-Handling routines
1. PC 9.10
5. Which LoadRunner/PerformanceCenter feature (FPs) or service packs are you using?
Not immediately applicable to my needs
6. VuGen Recording - are you using Old or New Recording Engine? New
7. You must list here the specific Licensed Vuser type for your specific issue AND the license amount you have for your Vuser protocol(s) - per the example below No response to this question or N/A are not options) If you are using a cracked or hacked version, list as "CRACK".
8. Is your support/maintenance contract current and active?
9. What platform(s) (PCs) and Operating Systems (Windows-XP, etc.) are being used for load generators and controllers? Include version and service packs (SP1 or 2, etc.)
Not applicable yet
10. If you have filed a service request with HP/Mercury, what have they told you at this point with respect to your issue?
My issue is not due to a defect in Loadrunner
I have been doing WEB only scripting for the past 6 years. Now, we have recently new management and they want to shift the focus to using LR RTE scripts to do IBM mainframe testing. None of our old or new people (hired in past 6 months) have much experience in RTE scripting - specifically error handling, and none of us are experts (or close) with C code.
I was the first one to do an RTC script, and it ran fine with the sterilized data they supplied me with to develop the script (20 records). But, later when I finally got the real test data of about 5000 records, it caused errors all over the place! Since I was very late in the project getting the real data, I had only 2 days to get error handling done in the script and with my limited knowledge of RTE scripting and coding skills I was not able to get this done. We ended up testing with some QuickTestPro scripts and had to use one PC for each of 10 'vusers'.
So, my boss assigned me to develop a 'cookbook' or 'template' or 'tips and tricks' or 'guidelines' that people on our team could use and refer to about how to set up basic error handling in RTE scripts. By basic, I mean handling things like:
1. data causes program to navigate to wrong screen that we don't want to test
2. Data record is locked by another user
3. One screen requires doing a 'shift/escape' sequence in order to properly get out of the 'edit' screen (if at this screen, the record is open for editing and very difficult to back up).
4. What if X System never goes away? How to handle this?
I'm not looking for hand-holding here, but if someone knows of a website that has some of this type of code for RTE scipts I sure would appreciate knowing where it is because I haven't been able to find any yet.
Re: Looking for Basic RTE Error-Handling routines
You will probably want to use a functions like
TE_wait_text & TE_get_cursor_pos, based off of what you get from those you would write your if functions to pass or fall the transactions and possibly add code to change the flow of the script to correct itself and get to the right place it needs to be.
Here is a small example:
while (i == NULL && col != 8 )
TE_get_text_line ( 55, j, 4, buf);
lr_output_message("String = %s", buf);
TE_wait_cursor(53, j, 100, 20);
* If the script found hist it will continue, other wise it will fail the transaction and return to menu.
if (i != NULL)
4. Concurrent Groups
5. LR91P026 QFE
7. All protocols - 3500 Vusers
9. Windows 2003 SP2