Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

How to setup terminal sessions

We can run QTP or Winrrunner scripts in Loadrunner.But the problem is that only one virtual user can run from one machine.To address this there is method by setting up the terminal sessions.Now my question is can some one help me with the steps required to help me set this terminal setup in load generators?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: How to setup terminal sessions

Would request to to help me with the procedures requried for Winrunner scripts....

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

[ QUOTE ]
    <font color="blue">We can run QTP or Winrrunner scripts in Loadrunner.But the problem is that only one virtual user can run from one machine. </font>

[/ QUOTE ]This is not a problem. This is by design. For further assistance after you have confirmed your licensing constraints with respect to deployment of terminal services, please begin here:

http://www.sqaforums.com/showflat.ph...e=0#Post117445

... else contact HP to determine if your license permits you to do what you are trying to achieve.

Thank you

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

You may believe you are saving money by reusing these scripts, but you are not. The cost of a Graphical Virtual user (WinRunner/QTP) is several orders of magnitude more expensive than API level virtual users in quantity. You will also have an very large infrastructure cost associated with either Terminal Server or Citrix server licensing and configuration (even in a non production license class), plus you will have the added complexity of troubleshooting what is a Terminal server or Citrix issue and what is an application issue.

The costs associated with competent development of API level virtual user scripts will be far less than the added costs associated with the increase in license fees, the increase in hardware and software costs associated with your test infrastructure and the time and expense associated with debugging your test environment versus debugging your application.

If you continue on this approach will cost customers of your organization, Satyam, a horribly large amount of money with a resulting test which is less reliable and more complex to execute and debug. Your approach certainly runs counter to industry standard best practices and I must imagine that it would run counter to the practices taught at Satyam's own Test Business School noted here

James Pulley
    CTO, ScriptFarm
    [i]On Time. On Budget. On Shore[i]
    An untrained, ineffective performance tester will take seven to ten times as long to complete basic tasks compared to a mature performance tester. We save clients' budgets and projects everyday compared to ineffective onshore and offshore performance test organizations - Ask us how.
    James Pulley

Replace ineffective offshore contracts, LoadRunnerByTheHour. Starting @ $19.95/hr USD.

Put us to the test, skilled expertise is less expensive than you might imagine.

Twitter: @LoadRunnerBTH @PerfBytes

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Snair,
    I agree with James. Personally, I won't recommend testing with QTP/Winrunner scripts in loadrunner. The main reason is cost associated with the licenses and the infrastructure. You can try this if you can have all the PCs that will be used by the users in the production (!!).

As you have mentioned, the alternate approach is to use the MS terminal server (on a windows server box) and RDP protocol available in loadrunner. You can also try citrix. You need to deploy the application in the terminal server or RDP.

For this, you need additional SERVERS + Citrix / terminal server license + RDP / Citrix protocol license available in loadrunner.

Again the risk is - you may not know whether the issue is with the application or the citrix/terminal server ! I would prefer this approach if your application is a FAT client with massive GUI operations in the client side and with many socket activities going in parallel with the multiple threads in the client.

You can afford this risk and it all depends on how you are going to solve the various problems that you may face when you start the testing.

If your application uses custom protocols, HP has come up with the idea of developing custom protocols. I won't prefer this as well. I am not sure whether all the loadrunner experts would have learnt this fully since it is a new feature.
    The views expressed in this forum are mine. My organization does not subscribe to the substance, veracity or truthfulness of the said opinion

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Thank you for the information shared.....
    I understand the cost required here.But the objective is to have a complete knowledge on these available options.Is part of My R&amp;d work.
    So now i need to know how the terminal sessions have to be setup in load runner.What is the compatible versions between winrunner scripts and Loadrunner

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

For further assistance after you have confirmed your licensing constraints with respect to deployment of terminal services, please begin here:

http://www.sqaforums.com/showflat.ph...e=0#Post117445