Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

"correlation" and "parameterisation"

I'm a CPC LoadRunner and therefore working with this tool mostly. Obviously, I'm very familiair with the phrases "correlation" and "parameterisation", but I was wondering if these phrases are LoadRunner specific, or are used also as general performance testing phrases?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: "correlation" and "parameterisation"

Once you start talking about working with performance test scripts, these terms are widely used.
    Roland Stens

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Originally posted by jarkelen:
    I'm a CPC LoadRunner and therefore working with this tool mostly. Obviously, I'm very familiair with the phrases "correlation" and "parameterisation", but I was wondering if these phrases are LoadRunner specific, or are used also as general performance testing phrases?
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">can u pls tell me the diffrence in corrrelation and parameterization
    thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

The differences can be intimated by reading the User's Guide, "LoadRunner Creating Vuser Scripts".

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Yes, these terms are widely used, but I had impression that only Mercury explicitly define the difference between them. Before I completely switched to Mercury, I used "parameterisation" for both things. Not sure how correct that was: just found in the Rational documentation "Dynamic data correlation is a technique to supply variable data values to a script
    when the transactions in a script depend on values supplied from the server."

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Originally posted by Alexander Podelko:
    Yes, these terms are widely used, but I had impression that only Mercury explicitly define the difference between them. Before I completely switched to Mercury, I used "parameterisation" for both things. Not sure how correct that was: just found in the Rational documentation "Dynamic data correlation is a technique to supply variable data values to a script
    when the transactions in a script depend on values supplied from the server."
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">They're essentially the same thing. One does it automatically, another manually. Rational tries to be smart and dynamically correlate things it thinks you might find useful for later use in your scripts. Oftentimes I'll manually populate a datapool instead of relying on dynamic correlation in my scripts.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: \"correlation\" and \"parameterisation\"

hi
    I'm new to performance testing. as of now i'm working with load runner. i would like to know the concept behind correlation and how to correlate using load runner. can you please guide me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

"Correlation" in loadrunner is, the dynamic values sent from the server which are recorded in the script, has to be replaced using a loadrunner specific variable. During each iteration, the value assigned to the variable will be, the value sent from the server.

"Parameterization" in loadrunner is, if the username and the password has to be replaced during each iteration, the usernames and the passwords has to be stored in a file with a headername. During each iteration, when referring the headername as a loadrunner specific varible, a new username and the password is assigned.

"Correlation" can be done in 2 ways, manual correlation and auto-correlation.

Manual correlation is extract the page source of a url, search for the values that has to be replace during each iteration, find the left and the right boundaries of that value, using web_reg_save_param(), create a loadrunner variable, specify the left/right boundaries,and specify from which occurance the value has to be retrievied.

Please refer to loadrunner manual for auto-correlation.
    Performance Analyst
    http://www.csscorp.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

[ QUOTE ]
    hi
    I'm new to performance testing. as of now i'm working with load runner. i would like to know the concept behind correlation and how to correlate using load runner. can you please guide me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Prabhu,

It is a good idea to start your own topic and post it only once as now people might be confused about which post to answer. As a new member, please read this before posting any additional questions. http://www.sqaforums.com/faq.php?Cat=

Your duplicate posts are here:
    http://www.sqaforums.com/showflat.ph...013#Post338150
    http://www.sqaforums.com/showflat.ph...806#Post338207

Other important information for you...

LoadRunner ships with an example application against which you can practice correlation and parameterization. The documentation is also intended to guide you. You may also consider finding a strong mentor to help you. Please visit and read this topic also.
    http://www.sqaforums.com/showflat.ph...e=0#Post117445

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Hi,
    Greetings!!

I have a problem in understanding the LR concepts. First let me tell you what had happened. The scenario is that i need to hire an employee by giving a random employee ID. During scripting I recorded a script to hire an employee. then i parameterized the employee ID and ran the scripts and everything went fine.
    But my database got junked with a large number of hires and i've been asked to terminate the hired employee by running the scripts.
    i followed the same scripting procedure to terminate the employy but while playing the script back i was not able to terminate them.
    the script threw no errors.

i would like to know whether this is a scripting mistake or the application error. but i could manually terminate the employee..

kindly advice.

kindly let me know where i sould post my new queries.

thanks
    prabhu

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast