Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

How many of us use the \'Pacing\' functionality? ...

I got into the (quite possibly bad) habit of putting an at times lengthy thin time at the end of my Action() code to delay the next iteration of a vuser. I've since realized that LR has a Pacing feature that allows you to define this in a more elegant manner in the Run-Time Settings (at least in LR/VUGen 8.1).

I guess I should start using the Pacing feature instead of my poor-man's hack. How many of use user that Pacing functionality as it was intended?

I wonder if I got into that habit before the Pacing feature was added? Not sure. ;-)

Thanks,

Chris

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: How many of us use the \'Pacing\' functionality? ...

Chris,

Pacing works great! The base usage is just like your long think time. Select "Start new iteration AFTER the previous ENDS with a fixed delay of" xxx

For more excitement you can change to AFTER previous with Random between 60 seconds and 90 seconds! [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Enjoy! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] (Just try it - You'll never want to go back!)
    Unless you are writing a compiler, strtok is NOT the answer.
    See: http://www.sqaforums.com/showflat.ph...=541641#542222

QAF is still an exercise in self-sufficiency! (Thank JB!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Thanks, I think I'll use it from here on out. ;-)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Hello Chris!

Using the "Pacing" shows one problem that may disturb. I do not know how to work around this - so i tolerate.

Lets say you have a scenario that has to run for a fixed time, in this case 1 hour. If you have a script that needs 8 minutes to execute and you set the pacing as "After the previous iteration ends with a fixed delay of 900 sec" which means 15 minutes delay between each iteration, your virtual user will be finished after 1 hour and 17 minutes.
    Reason: The delay that is executed while the 60 minutes limit is reached is not interrupted by LoadRunner. The deleay is executed to the end and then the last iteration is also done. Only after this the test is finished.
    If you have different scenarios the limit of the test may be exceeded more.

Regards
    Thomas
    xtom

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Working as designed. Use "after the previous iteration starts" instead.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

for achieving TPS and sometimes for reducing load on the servers etc.I use this depending on the objectives I need to achieve.

Apprentice
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I've been at a number of companies where their load test plans call for a certain number of users, but they have no idea what appropriate think time levels are nor can they seem to get values for that, however they can tell me how many of the processes need to be completed hourly. Pacing works perfectly for this type of run.

So, as an example lets say they give me 500 users, and they want 2000 iterations completed per hour. Nice numbers like this, means that each user needs to do 4/hour.
    I generally like to test out one user to see how long it takes, as in this case if 1 user takes more than 15 minutes I'll be in trouble. If the user is a lot quicker, I'll probably put a few think times here and there however I usually try to make it not take more than 1/2 of my planned pacing if I can, to leave room for slowing response times.

So, for my run, I'll setup pacing as something like: At random intervals every 600 to 1200 seconds. (Using 15 minutes as the center point, i just decided to use 10-20 minutes as my random values). One thing I found though, you might not 'exactly make your rate' this way, so i usually slide the values a bit lower, say 550-1150. You might wonder why it doesn't hit the exact rate, well that leads me to my one annoyance with this setting.. it can also apply to the beginning of the first iteration. In some tests, it seems to be about 50/50 as to whether it will apply to a user at the beginning of their run or not.
    I generally don't want the setting to apply at the beginning, but haven't found a way around it.

Advanced Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I use random pacing BETWEEN Iterations and not the fixed pacing time for each vuser iteration.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: How many of us use the \'Pacing\' functionality?

You can have bigtime problems with your tested environments if you don't use pacing as intended. If you run into a situation where you start experiencing frequent errors and don't use pacing your vusers will begin iterations too frequently often exasperating the problem.