Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Capturing parameters in atext file

. What version of LoadRunner (LR) or PerformanceCenter (PC) are you using? (specify which tool LR or PC)

2. What is the protocol you are recording?
    http

3. If HTML - are you using HTML-Advanced with URLs or,
    no

6. VuGen Recording - are you using Old or New Recording Engine?
    old

7. What kind of LoadRunner license do you have -
    - Permanent/Unlimited
    9. What platform(s) (PCs) and Operating Systems
    Windows-XP SP2
    10. If you have filed a service request with HP/Mercury, what have they told you at this point with respect to your issue?
    N/A

I want to capture certain correlated values in a text. I am able to do that. But when I run the script in the controller, I get a memory violation error. When I use the local host there is no error. The problem arrises only when I use the load generator. The location of my text file is in C:\ It looks like the load generator is not able to identify the location of the text file.

Any suggestion will be helpfull.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Capturing parameters in atext file

The problem is obvious in that the text file resides in a different location on a load generator. The solution is not obvious as you need to provide more details.

Are the Vusers creating this file and writing to it?
    Is this a file that must be uploaded?

Note! In the future please avoid creating duplicate posts.
    Thank you

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

In Vugen, one user has exclusive use of the file. Once in the controller, now multiple virtual users are competing for access to the file on an exclusive basis. See Operating system concept: Semaphore. See LoadRunner Support add on product: Virtual Table Server (VTS). Or, consider adding a database connection of some sort to your script to upload and handle the data for you as a part of your script.

Side note, if it is your intention that another user read this data (which is commonly why people want to write to a file correlated data information), this activity will fail without the use of a service such as the VTS or a database for the storage of the queued data by consumption on a secondary VU.
    James Pulley

Replace ineffective offshore contracts, LoadRunnerByTheHour. Starting @ $19.95/hr USD.

Put us to the test, skilled expertise is less expensive than you might imagine.

Twitter: @LoadRunnerBTH @PerfBytes

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

There IS a quick & dirty way to do this, if I am understanding your question correctly in that all you need to do is to record the correlations / parameterizations occurring during a test.

You can use lr_error_message() to output the parameters to the controller.
    <font class="small">Code:</font><hr /><pre>lr_error_message ( "Parameter Output: %s", lr_eval_string ( "{ParamWhatevs}" ) );</pre><hr />
    Then you can go in after the test is complete and scrape the error log by Exporting all of the data to a CSV and manipulate it in excel or whatever.

That said, as of LR 9.1 you cannot seem to filter out the error count in the Analysis summary report, so a client seeing a bajillion errors with zero failed transactions may cause some consternation. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

G

Advanced Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

[ QUOTE ]
    There IS a quick &amp; dirty way to do this, if I

<font class="small">Code:</font><hr /><pre>lr_error_message ( "Parameter Output: %s", lr_eval_string ( "{ParamWhatevs}" ) );</pre><hr />
    Then you can go in after the test is complete and scrape the error log by Exporting all of the data to a CSV and manipulate it in excel or whatever.

That said, as of LR 9.1 you cannot seem to filter out the error count in the Analysis summary report, so a client seeing a bajillion errors with zero failed transactions may cause some consternation. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

G

[/ QUOTE ]

for a non-dirty way - use lr_output_message - no scared clients after that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

... or one could simply turn on logging of parameters and write a parser to extract from the output.txt file.

... so many ways ...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    There IS a quick &amp; dirty way to do this, if I

G

[/ QUOTE ]

for a non-dirty way - use lr_output_message - no scared clients after that.

[/ QUOTE ]

True, but with lr_output_message and/or by writing a parser to grep the logs, the messages would be sent to each vuser output log seperately. With lr_error_message, everything is lumped in the error log and it takes about ten seconds to collect the data, even with many many groups.

As Jake said, many ways to skin this cat. Mine's just the fastest I know of. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I always used lr_output_message method myself. I would always have a keyword (something like "Killroy sez '&lt;outputgoeshere&gt;'") and then grep out the messages with some custom perl code.

Not as quick as the lr_error_message way of doing things but I didn't have to watch the error count increase over the test duration. :-)
    My mom says I'm special.

Advanced Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

gb

minnal has posted this cool fix to combine Vuser log which i use when i need to look at combined logs

http://www.sqaforums.com/download.php?Number=389422

ofcourse again not the fastest - but keeps those error numbers low!