Thread: Firewall rules?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Firewall rules?

My company is looking to move our current server to a different location.

I am trying to compile a list of firewall rules to make sure we have all of the required access available. So far I have

Port 80
    Ports for DCOM (not sure what those are since I think DCOM allocated dynamically)
    Port 25 for SMTP
    RDC port for administration

Anything else? I don't think we need SQL ports opened as long as we can remote into the server.

Thanks

Advanced Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Firewall rules?

I don't remember about ports and permissions, but make sure that both your App Server and DB Server are sitting on the same side of the Firewall.

I remember having serious problems on a farm where someone decided to put the App Server within the DMZ while trying to connect to an SQL Server sitting "inside" the FW.
    -joel
    9 times out 10, less is actually more

PractiTest - QA and Test Management Tool
    QABlog - QA Intelligence Blog

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Firewall rules?

we are actually running web/app/db/dashboard all on the same server. The new configuration may actually run on VMWare ESX.