| || |
Configuring QC options
I have the poisoned chalice of configuring Quality Center for a large company!
We have QC 9.2 stood up, ‘just’ need to get the thing configured now.
We have three main areas of work:
1. formal end to end testing that is being introduced with dedicated testers, large ongoing testing engagement where much of the testing will be off-shore (although we will be using vpn for QC)
2. smaller projects where Developers / Server team guys test their own changes, hence we will not be able to do the usual devs cannot close defects thing. (Not as bad as it sounds – several devs have been on the ISEB foundation, and we are performing education and deploying a lot of Quality and Governance processes to ensure that we are on top of things)
3. Changes – one-off small changes.
I am needing to put thought to the following areas:
1. Groups, and permissions. Thinking of two types of group types, one for devs on the large programme where they cannot test their own work, and, one for business as usual dev work where the devs do the testing.
2. Domains – Three domains only?? There is a school of thought for a different domain per business / IT area, and one for breaking out into the three areas above……
Anyone else had this green field opportunity? What went well? What did not go so well?
Re: Configuring QC options
[ QUOTE ]
[From TD Forum Post] Do you happen to know if there is an easy way of sharing tests over domains that users can do, or, is it an admin migrate task?
[/ QUOTE ]
It's not possible to share tests between projects. Domains are just a way to group projects, so there's nothing about domains that causes the limitation. Everything in a project is entirely self-contained. The only data that is shared between projects is user details (name, password, email, etc... not to be confused with group permissions which are still project-based).
Domains were more useful back when users saw all projects when logging in (instead of just the ones they have access to). QC90+ only shows the user the projects to which they have access, so the login is not as cluttered.
Re: Configuring QC options
I have setup the following Groups with QC
* BA's (Business Analysts)
* SA's (System Analysts)
* Test Analysts
The Domains I have created several too
I have several Archive domains (e.g. QC_ARC_2004) where I copy finished projects in
Then there is the QC_PROJECTS domain with all active projects
We have a QC_REGRESSION, a QC_TRAINING and a QC_DEFAULT.
The QC_DEFAULT I use for setting up new projects. In there I have a default project with all groups set up and all users allocated to these groups. Also all customisation we need for our company is in that project. Every time I need to setup a new project I just have to copy thet project. Also easy to maintain if you only need to update 1 default project.
What exactly do you mean with Workflow ?
Hope some of this helps... Pat