Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

QC Version control with QTP is very disappointing

I understand that version control in QC is somewhat limited. However, I was very disappointed to discover that something I would consider to be FUNDAMENTAL to a version control system does not work.

If a user has a test checked out and is working on it, and that test is being used in a Test Suite, when the test suite is run, the checked out version that is a WIP is actually the version used! rather than the last checked in version. (even if the test is being run from a completely different machine than it is checked out on) IMHO, why would I need version control if not to prevent that sort of thing?

I've also found that the version control does not meet any of my requirements, which I don't think are totally unreasonable. Am I totally off my rocker and expecting too much? am I doing something totally wrong in how I'm using the version control? It's so hard to find documentation on integration of QC and QTP, it's hard to tell if I've done it right.

Here are my requirements:
    * Ability to check in and rollback multiple files under one transaction
    * Ability to make changes to tests or actions that do not affect existing test suites and then ability to “promote” such changes to the test suite after changes have been reviewed and tested, and only if desired.
    * Ability to maintain different versions of tests in different test suites
    * Ability to obtain a complete set of tests as they were at a specific point in time

as an aside, I heard from some sales guys that they were going to have better version control in Version 10. This was a long time ago, and since then I haven't heard anything about version 10. Anyone know anything?

SQA Knight
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: QC Version control with QTP is very disappoint

What version control? You actually integrated a version control tool with QC?

Aside from the problems you described, QC is placing "stuff" in its backend DB, so I cant' see how it could successfully integrate with a VCS such that you could rollback to a given state--unless the VCS was aware of the DB "nuggets" and somehow version controlled those as well.

The fact that you can't run against a specified version label (such as "stable" or "version 1.2") and you are always executing the tip revision seems to indicate, as you say, that you have no version control.

SQA Knight
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

[ QUOTE ]

As an aside, I heard from some sales guys that they were going to have better version control in Version 10. This was a long time ago, and since then I haven't heard anything about version 10.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Well of course not--you purchased the tool! [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

[ QUOTE ]
    What version control? You actually integrated a version control tool with QC?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, we integrated with Rational ClearCase. Of course the integration is limited by whatever API QC provides...but still, I would expect even the very basic version control within QC to understand the difference between a working copy and a checked in copy! We've opened a ticket with HP. We'll see if anything comes of it... [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

We also tried version control and chose for Subversion. We played arround with it and also found out that it was very limited in its abilities. We use Subversion for all our Java code and then it is working very well.

I also heard about the rumour that QC10 would have version control and that it would be available Q4 2008 or Q1 2009.