Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Delayed Email Sending

Hi,

I'm managing a QC bug tracking system and my managers have requested that emails be sent in bulk at the end of the day instead of receiving emails with each change made. Right now my email functionality is setup through the workflow of the defects module, so I don't know if that will make any difference.

Is there anyway to delay the sending of emails by somehow saving emails during the day and then sending all of them out a later time? Any suggestions or help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Delayed Email Sending

One option, which would take you working with your network/email administrators, would be to possibly setup your own mail server.

I have known of one other place desiring a restriction of this sort. They setup an additional Mail server which sent out on a less frequent interval than the main mail server.

Using this additional server you can allow the items to be sent and queued up ready for delivery, and then delivered at the specified time frame.

Depending on how your company is setup in their policies and such you may need the help of other groups (as I mentioned above), or you can utilize a spare system to run Windows Server for the purpose of mail redirection..
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

hmmm thats not a bad idea and thanks for the response. So this other place you mentioned, did they have QC send the emails to that pseudo-address then resend them all out at a later time, or how else did they do that??

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

that is what they setup. QC would send to the secondary server, which would queue them up, then at noon and nine PM they would send them all out.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Yeah that sounds like exactly what I need and it sounds like a good approach. Thanks for your help Tony, I really appreicate it.

Just out of curiosity, does anybody else know of any methods that would work within QC and wouldn't require additional email servers?? Thanks!!!