Workflow when copying a test case

I have added a field to my test cases so I can add a custom test case number to each test. It is automatically generated with some workflow code. It works fine except for the following scenario:

If users are creating a series of test cases, they will sometimes copy and paste an existing test case. When they do this, the test case number is copied as well, defeating my unique numbering. I tried adding the following, but this doesn't seem to be triggered in this scenario:

<font class="small">Code:</font><hr /><pre><font color="blue">Sub</font> TestPlan_Test_New
    <font color="blue">On Error</font> Resume Next
    Bug_Fields(<font color="brown">"TS_USER_12"</font>).Value = <font color="blue">NULL</font>
    <font color="blue">On Error</font> GoTo 0
    <font color="blue">End Sub</font></pre><hr />

Any thoughts?

<font color="#6B6B6B">Scott Genevish
    Principal Consultant
    Designed Quality</font>

Re: Workflow when copying a test case

disable the copying ability?

That code will only be triggered on the pressing of the new test icon, which isn't part of copying.

About the only thing I can see without a major undertaking of comparing numbers in that field at a database trigger level is to either disable the copying ability of a test case (which I am sure will cause an outcry from your user base), or enforce training.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results