Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Display of change date of a test

I would like to see the field TS_VTS (Change date of a test) in the dialog box of a test. I can see it no problem in grid view, but when I view the tests in tree view, I only see the fileds Test name, status, creation date, responible. I have tried to add the statement

Test_Fields("TS_VTS").IsVisible= true

to different of the workflow events for the test plan module, but that did not help.
    I am using Quality Center 8.2.
    Bulla

--- a fool with a tool is still a fool ----

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Display of change date of a test

I don't think Mercury intended for this field to be visible in the GUI (although obviously you can get there from the grid view). Your best bet will be to create a user-defined field (which can be displayed in the gui) and then use the workflow to copy the value to this field. Not a pretty solution, but it may be the only way to view this data.
    Boyd Patterson
    Patterson Consulting, LLC
    www.patterson-consulting.net

[i]Creator of Test Design Studio - Powerful IDE for QuickTest Pro[i]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Hi,
    I tried this:
    Sub TestPlan_Test_MoveTo
    On Error Resume Next
    Test_Fields("TS_USER_06").Value=Test_Fields("TS_VT S").Value

On Error GoTo 0
    End Sub

And it worked. Thanks a million! That saved my day!
    Bulla

--- a fool with a tool is still a fool ----

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Perfect! Glad to help.
    Boyd Patterson

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

You can show this field in the UI by changing its active property in the system_field table for the project. This will ensure it's accurate.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

[ QUOTE ]
    You can show this field in the UI by changing its active property in the system_field table for the project. This will ensure it's accurate.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not a good idea to modify the back end database in that manner. I've had some issues at previous places when upgrades are being performed and someone has changed the table information directly. If at times the table information is not exactly as the upgrade requires, it will fail at some point through the process and wreck major havoc on the process.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Ok, Tony. It is wise to warn people, but in general this setting is not an issue and does not cause issues. It can also be reversed easily. I've use this approach for several years without issue.

Do you have an example of an issue caused by showing a field with this method?

I should add that it's a really bad idea to change anything from the moveto event. This is going to put a load on the server and could cause errors in the client when more than one person "moves to" the same test.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

The warning wasn't specifically for field in question, as it was general. Most of the people visiting this forum are new to the tool, or unfamiliar with it at best. Coupled with a very intricate (as it seems sometimes) table structure for Quality Center, it is a failure point waiting to happen.

Couple that with most people that drop words of wisdom to change something of that sort aren't usually around when the person tries it and fails (not directed at you, just a general state of affairs observation), it is a path that most need not start down until they are very comfortable with the QC environment on their own and wish to undertake it.

To answer your question about a specific example with showing a field in that manner - no. But still would not recommend changing the information directly in the database.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I'll back Tony up on this one. While you can often make changes to the database and get the desired result, HP/Mercury did not plan for you to perform these unsupported tweaks. While this particular change probably won't have an impact, there's just no way to know.

The more you perform these behind-the-scnese updates, the more likely you are to encounter issues down the road. I don't trust that the HP/Mercury developers were open-minded enough to consider that people would directly update the database to alter configurations, and I would prefer not to test those exception scenarios.
    Boyd Patterson

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Making this field visible by changing the db is FAR more safe than updating things through moveto or adding a trigger to the db to populate the field.

I think you both are being overly cautious as this mod is something that the developers and support offer as a solution.

Context is important when warning people off changing the db. There are some things you can only do in the tables.

One has to give the tdadmin some credit for making mods in a responsible way. Things like backups and testing on test projects are assumed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast