Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Module access for user groups

Hi All,

I want to give Defects and Quality Center module access to all the user groups. But while customizing, I found out that, we can give access to either or these two. i.e Defects modules or Quality Center modules. Is there any way to give access to all the modules at once for Developer group?

Any insights you have? I appreciate your suggestion.

Thanks
    Buddy

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Module access for user groups

In the Customize Module Access. Quality Center access includes Defects. You only use the Defects column when you want to exclude Quality Center Modules (and use a defect only license).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Thanks. I got your point. But I wanna give access to Defects and other other QC modules. I do not want to exclude either of these. The testers want to file/modify a defect in Defects module and Test Case description at the Test Plan module at the same time.

Thanks
    Buddy

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I am really not sure what you are after, so if you could clarify what you are wanting to grant access for the certain groups that would help.

Just to calrify what it is you can do by default, if whlie you are in the Customaization section of your project, under Customize Module Access you have three default settings:

1) Defect Module - this will only show the Defects module to the individuals which belong to the groups you have defined with this access. No other item will appear in the module navigation frame.
    2) Quality Center - this will show the Defects Module, the Requirements Module, Test Plan and Test Lab modules to those set up for this access.
    3) Busniess Process Testing - if you have purchased this module, it will appear, but if you haven't then this option will not be available to you. Adding this will show all that is available in the Quality Center access, as well as the Business Component module.

What beyond this access are you trying to set up for you users? You can also limit the access to the information based on the security settings for the groups you have set up in your project.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Thanks Tony. I know the above rules. But, If I give Quality Center rights to a user, he can access all the modules starts from Releases, Requirements, Test Plan, Test Lab. When coming to Defects module, he only has viewer rights. He cannot modify or add a bug. What I wanted to is, giving rights to all the modules, including defects. While giving the Module Access, you can only give either QC modules or Defects module.

Hope you got it.

Thanks
    Buddy

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

That sounds like a group access security set up issue.

Have you researched the settings for the group this individual is assigned?
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Tony, Look at the attachment. That gives a clear idea what I was talking about. I want to club the access rights of QA Tester and A Developer. One has access to all the modules and one has only Defects module access.

Thanks
    Buddy
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

not sure what you mean with the term "club".

You are trying to oversimplify what you will be able to accomplish with the module section area. You will need to go into the security settings of the groups and grant/deny the access you require.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

[ QUOTE ]
    Tony, Look at the attachment. That gives a clear idea what I was talking about. I want to club the access rights of QA Tester and A Developer. One has access to all the modules and one has only Defects module access.

Thanks
    Buddy

[/ QUOTE ]

In your attachement the Developers only have access to Defects and the Testers have access to everything...the Red X in the Defects module is over ridden by the green check in The remaining modules.