Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Creating a custom workflow

Hello everyone,
    First, a bit of introduction, I'm a french student, working for an IT company, and I have to customize QC (defect fields, in fact) to deal with other objects, named "FIR" ("Fiche d'Inscription en Recette").
    Anyway.
    I'd like to create a workflow for my FIRs status, to have a natural "evolution" of it.
    It would look like something like that:
    New ->Agreed ->In discuss ->Done(defect/FIR closed)
    ->Incomplete
    ->Denied

(Sorry if you can't read, I'm not an ASCII artist [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img])

I think that it can be done with a custom field, with a custom list attached, and scripts that define which status can be picked, depending on the previous status.
    But how to do it?
    An easier way would be to use the already existing BG_STATUS field, but I can't modify it, nor its list.

Thanks a lot if you have any clues or leads...

PS: sorry if I made mistakes [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Creating a custom workflow

Excellent first post, actually!

OK - let's see if this sends you down the right path:

Step 1: Create the list of FIR information you want to be able to change from one item to the next. (see Step1.jpg attached).

Step 2: Create a user field in the Defects Module called FIR, and link it to the List you created in Step 1 (See Step2.jpg attached)

Step 3: Now you need to go to your group setup and initiate the security for the field (see Step3.jpg), this is where you can state from what value it can be changed to another value. This allows you to have the standard users having to 'stick to a plan', while a project manager or admin can have the ability to change it to what ever was needed.

If you wanted to link up the closing of the defect to the state of the FIR field information (or vice versa), there is the backend workflow scripting you can research and find the events which are triggered on a state change (Defects_Bgu_FieldChange) to togglethe state of other fields on their update.

Hope that gets you down the path you are wanting with the post. Come back and let us know any questions or just to let us know how you got on.

Welcome.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Thank you for this answer !
    In fact, I had already done the steps 1 and 2, but there is a problem with the step 3.
    I can't create a transition rule. It may be due to the fact that I have a "training account" (I am not the real administrator), cf attached picture. But if it is as simple as you show it, it's ok. I'll ask for more power with my account, to try it.
    (The project on which I'm working on is a "training project" too, the real one may come in few months, and then, a real administrator would do the correct changes)

I'm still concerned about something. Does this "transition rule" enables to have multiple choices?
    Along to my previous post, with this transition rules, is it possible from a "new" status to have a choice between "agreed", "incomplete", "denied", and only those status?

edit: hum, i'm not working on QC at night, it's just a different time zone.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

The issue you are having is a security issue - what ever group they have you set up in needs tob ereviewed so you can change the information.

As for the multiple choices on your transistion rule - yes you can have as many as you need.

What you would have to do is put an entry in for each acceptable rule:

New -- Agrred
    New -- Incomplete
    New -- Denied

It will only allow the changes as you state, so if you have 15 items in the FIR status, from New you will only be able to select the ones specifically shown in your list (although all items will be shown in the list, it will only allow you to change to the ones specified.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Thank you !
    I'll harass my account manager to be granted with enough rights...
    Just to make things right, is there any way to hide status that are not allowed by the transition rules?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Not that I am aware of - as it is aglobal list for the application and not directly associated to the individual.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Hello everyone !
    I dig up this topic because I have some news about my problem.
    I've finaly managed to create transition rules on my training project.
    (In fact, I couldn't do it before because I was using system groups, with green/yellow/red icon, whereas it seems that I needed a new group, with green icon)
    So, I wrote all the rules of my workflow, but when I create a new defect (or "FIR", in my project), I'm able to choose any status, and no message brings me an error when I validate.
    My account is now in the new group (which contains the transition rules, but is set "as TDAdmin") and has quit the TDAdmin group. Due to the fact that I have only one account, and can't create other, I'd rather not creating a group "set as developper" (or something with less power), because I would no longer be able to customize my project if I'd lose admin power, I guess.
    So, finally, it brings me to this: is the fact that I can chose any status, forgetting about transition rules, is due to my "admin powers"? If yes, which "account type" is restricted by transition rules?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

TDAdmin has no restrictions. If you are a member of that group, you aren't going to see most workflow items unless you have specifically coded for them on the back end (which I am guessing you haven't from your description).

For you to test, you will need either your id moved into the group you want to verify the workflow, or you will need to have another account available to you for testing (one that you can change the group membership of as needed to test your changes)

Advanced Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

To make list values dependant on the current value requires having mulitple lists -- with each list having the 'allowed' transitions for that status.

I have done this on my server for defect status rather than using transition rules so that I don't have to set transition rules for every single group (too many statuses and too many groups!)

Here's some sample code:

<in Sub Wizard List Cust>
    If <> User.IsInGroup("TDAdmin")
    Select Case Bug_Fields("BG_USER_01").Value
    Case "New"
    Bug_Fields("BG_USER_01").List = Lists("FIR_NEW")
    Case "Agreed"
    Bug_Fields("BG_USER_01").List = Lists("FIR_AGREED")
    Case "In Discussion"
    Bug_Fields("BG_USER_01").List = Lists("FIR_DISCUSS")
    <...snip...>
    End Select
    Else Bug_Fields("BG_USER_01").List = Lists("FIR STATUS")
    <...snip...>

The list "FIR STATUS" would contain all possible FIR Status values.
    The list "FIR_NEW" would contain only the statuses (statii?) that were allowed from 'New' (such as 'Agreed', 'Denied')

ETC.

The transition rules then can be left as ANY:ANY for all groups.

There is a catch!!
    This applies the list filtering to every instance of the status field. This includes the 'heading'/filter fields on the defects grid/list form which is quite a pain as there is ALWAYS a record selected....
    Regards,

Alex
    ... just another Tester ...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Thank both of you !
    It may be difficult for me to find another account, without TDAdmin powers, to test my transition rules, so I'll try Asher's code first.
    Just to know: is the line "if <> User.Isingroup("TDAdmin")" really necessary, or can I skip this line and the code would apply to any user on the project?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast