Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

How QC can bring magic?

We have QTP 9.2 curently used as a tool for our functional testing needs. We do have TD also, but not much used till now and plan to get started using it. Recently we had big changes in senior mgt. and we got a new VP, who feels that having QC will bring in magic. I am just curious that in an environment where QTP is used the most and TD will be in use in near future, what magic will QC bring in. Any expert comments regarding "What are the real benefits of QC and what is an ideal envioronment where it needs to be in?"

I will be more happy to learn the new tool, but my concern is bringing in new tool will cost more and also consume time in learning it. I will prefer first establish a process for automated testing using with what we currently already have and then analyze to find if we have any gaps, and if those gaps can only be filled by QC or can they be by less cost alternatives.

Thanks in advance for your expert comments.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: How QC can bring magic?

bringing in QC will definetly add value with business components and dashboard features.

Dashboard feature gives you Go/NoGo if you use the KPIs.
    Ganesh Varma

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

[ QUOTE ]
    bringing in QC will definetly add value with business components and dashboard features.

Dashboard feature gives you Go/NoGo if you use the KPIs.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Thanks for your reply. I have never seen this tool so please excuse my ignorance as I have never heard any of the said terms, but I will now start learning it. What I am looking is how big the difference will it be. Is it worth to wait till we as group establish & be comfortable with what we have and then take another step. Instead taking one big huge step and land up in a situation where we as group feel the pressure of proving the investment made, we take little constructive steps.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

It is normal to take small steps, but if you are not totally committed to the success of the transition, it will not be successful. It's not magic, it's a lot of hard work to learn a new tool and plan for its future. We began with a committee to establish how we would use TD. You will make mistakes and you will have to start over a few times. But believe me, it will be worth it.
    Personal Comment

Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.
    ~ Winston Churchill ~

...Rich Wagner

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

So what you suggest is to jump on QC wagon now. BTW my basic questuion is still unanswered,which is "What are the benefits of QC" in an org that already has QTP & TD. If I am suppose to present something that shows the benefits versus tangible (monetary) & intangible (invisible/indirect) gains, then what benefits should be listed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Quality Centre (QC) IS Test Director (TD) - just a newer named version. I think they renamed to QC at version 8. QC is a test management tool (test case repository, execution and results compilation tool). QTP is a GUI automation tool that can be controlled/run/integrated by QC.

The main return on investment you get with QC is if you have many testing projects with many testers - QC allows them to all follow a single test management process - which in turn gives your management team management statistics regarding all of your test efforts (results, no. of test cases, expected time to execute, etc). It also means your test cases (and sets and execution runs and results) are all stored in a database - not documents like test efforts of old (MS Word or Excel). This is a huge benefit when trying to maintain (control change) or report on any level of your test artefacts.

The benefits of the newer versions of QC over the older versions of TD are web-based, rebuilt architecture (I think there was significant data model and stability enhancements with QC 8.2 and again with 9), features (new Business Components) but probably the main one you need to look out for the most is support. If your still running pre 8.0 version of TD/QC - chances are that HP no longer support it ...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

The only advantages are:
    + You can stay on top of the technology and as Victoria indicates, not fall by the wayside due to lack of support

+ You can utilize BPT if you are so inclined and have the expertise.

+ And a few other items which are in QC vs. TD

I do not say you should jump on any bandwagon, but if you already have TD, then why not trade up. It's like a car. You can buy one with a small 4 cylinder engine and get where you are going. You can also buy the exact same model with a V6 engine and a few add-ons like better suspension, better tires, dual exhausts, and leather seats. It's the same car, but you get a better ride.

And it's still not magic!
    Personal Comment

Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.
    ~ Winston Churchill ~

...Rich Wagner