My client is still on TD 8.0 and I am having nothing but trouble with the reports.
My Test Plan Subject Tree report causes a buffer overrun and gives no information. The Test Lab Cross Test Set report, with the Contained Tests sub report doesn't actually present the contained reports at all....I could go on and on.
It would be tough enough to work with this given the limitations of the reports themselves but when they don't even work! </rant>
What I would like to know is if the reports in QC are better.
That is, are they running properly for you? Can you make enough customizations to serve your own test reporting needs? Is it harder or easier to get what you want out of them than in TD?
Does anyone here have any information on this? I want to prepare myself. We'll be upgrading in the middle of my current large project.
I do not have the knowledge to speak on QC or TD but I have found in general I seem to have problems with software reporting, they never do what I want or it takes forever to get the format or data that I want. In these cases - providing they use the right database I usually connect using MSAccess and produce reports from there.
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work" --Thomas Edison
Tester, you apparently have a problem, either with your machine or the client-side software. You might try a real load of the client-side add-in to see if it clears things up. As far as I can tell, the reporting hasn't changed much as QC is really running on TestDirector. But I sure don't have the issues you do.
Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.
~ Winston Churchill ~
Thanks, Rich. I don't really think the problem is on my machine, as the supervisor in this area said that they had the same type of report problems in their training session with the Mercury trainer in their training room. At least she believes they had the buffer overrun.
I think it might be on the server, a problem with the installation itself. However, the server is remotely located and used by corporate teams in two different states and not controlled by this team.
I should probably take the issue to the team that is administrating the projects. But I thought I'd start with Mercury support, look for information here and debate the merit of even dealing with it given that the upgrade is looming in front of us.
I thought if I could just ride this out for a few weeks the problem would get solved in the upgrade. But I thought I would check with other QC users....
I sent an email to my contact at corporate who is a Merc mavin, but I haven't gotten a response. Maybe he's pulling a friday escape but when I finally get through I'll let them know about the potential reboot issue as well.