Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Export parameters from test instances / test sets

We have a test suite of a number of test sets in HP ALM (12.20) each test set containing tests that have parameters. I would like to export all of the parameters and their (current) test instance values - ideally, I would like to end up with a single Excel table with the following columns:
    Test Set ID | Test ID | Test Instance ID | Parameter Name | Parameter Value

Functionally through the GUI if I go to the Execution Grid, select the test instance, and select the "Modified" hyperlink in the Iterations column I can view the iterations and the parameters and their values. From here I can easily export the parameters and their values into a .csv file and open this in Excel. The problem is that I have 1500 iterations across 1000 test sets that I need to export, merge, and then transpose. Not really feasible!

Using SQL I can link the test set ID and Test ID, and the instance parameters appear to be contained in the TESTCYCL.TC_DATA_OBJ field as an XML string. Okay, so now I have 1500 XML strings in my Excel workbook...

The XML appears to be an odd format though. An example is below:
    Code:
    <DATAPACKET data_type="manual"><CONFIGURATION><SELECTION first_sel_row="-1" last_sel_row="-1" /></CONFIGURATION>
    <METADATA><COLUMNS>
    <COLUMN column_name="salesordernumber_in_Auto_00_LE_VL01N_Create Outbound Delivery [1]" column_value_type="String" />
    <COLUMN column_name="variant_in_Auto_00_OC_VA03_Display Sales Order [1]" column_value_type="String" /></COLUMNS>
    </METADATA>
    <ROWADATA><ROW col1="123456" col2="ABCDEF" />
    </ROWADATA></DATAPACKET>
    If I save this XML into a text file and rename the extension to open it in Excel, instead of the data being formatted like the .csv export it comes out in a table where the column names are listed in the rows and the row data is replicated.

Anyone got any ideas for a possible solution?

Ideally I'd like to be able to use SQL to get the parameter values directly into an Excel workbook, but this doesn't appear to be possible - I can only find the values in the XML in the TC_DATA_OBJ field.
    Second preference would be OTA / VBA or similar to programmatically extract the data?
    Third preference would be some sort of schema amendment to the XML string, perhaps a find/replace to add/change the data layout in the string? This may still require me to manually open each XML and then save the Excel tab, so not ideal.
    Last edited by meridian_05; 06-05-2018 at 01:01 AM.