Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Question How to copy/export test scripts from ALM QC to some local system/shared location

Hi Guys,

I want to export the test plans(automation script which contains group of BPT components) from ALM to local machine as our license server is going to be decommissioned. So want to take backup of the automation scripts.I am talking about only the test plan not manual test cases.

Present structure of our test plans are like:

1. Group of BPT components become one Test Plan
    2. Group of Test Plans become one Test Lab.
    3. BPT components shares Application Areas which we create to keep the Repository files and other files like XML, Library information etc . These will get stored separately in folder structure.

When we try to run any test lab(1 End to End workflow) item it will load BPT components, Application areas, Test plans, Repositories into UFT based on its mapping and run them. Is it possible to copy them in that way?

Do we have any utility or feature in UFT or ALM to export the test lab and all the linked files to it to my local machine or if we have to export all of the files individually,Then our scripts will be lost.I want to export the test labs(each test script) so that all the linked components,repos,application areas should be exported as a test script in one go.

I am using UFT 11.53 and ALM 11.52 versions.

Please guide me the way to proceed.
    <font color="red"> Subrahmanya</font>

Advanced Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded
    "our license server is going to be decommissioned"

I'm going to presume you're talking about your UFT license server, and not your ALM server.

1. Only UFT uses a /license server/.
    2. The location of the artefacts is irrelevant to where the license is.
    3. BPT assets can only be stored in ALM/QC

Leave your automation assets where, they are -- it's the only place they can be stored anyway.
    There is no way to store BPT assets outside of ALM.

When you decommission your (UFT) license server, the assets will stay where they are in ALM and be visible and manageable there as long as you have a BPT license.
    If you want to maintain the code; you'll be able to download and edit QFL files as they are simply flat files with your VBScript in them.
    If you want to execute them; you'll need to replace your current licenses (on your license server) with a seat license on the UFT execution machine.

The relationship between Business Component and Test Plan is held in the ALM database only. You cannot save a 'BPT' elsewhere, like you would a straight UFT script.

If you're going to drop your BPT licenses, or your ALM/QC licensing completely, then your automation is not going to be visible, maintainable or usable.
    Regards,

Alex
    ... just another Tester ...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded
    Hi Alex,

Thanks for your reply.
    My ALM Server is going to be shut down soon.So i want to take test scripts(test plan and test lab)backup of the files in ALM to local machine .

Thanks,
    Sastry
    <font color="red"> Subrahmanya</font>

Advanced Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded
    You won't be able to do that in any way that allows the tests to be executable.
    BPT can only be maintained and run in ALM/QCE.

If you *never* use reusable Actions, then all your code will be in QFL files on your server -- you'll be able to pull them out.
    Your Object repositories and other Resources will also be on the server (use an FTP client and you'll be able to browse the repository) BUT
    as above, the relationship between a Business Component and a Test is stored in the ALM database. There is no way to export a BP Test from ALM and be able to execute it outside of ALM.
    Regards,

Alex
    ... just another Tester ...