Very cumbersome creation of Business Process test cases, possible solutions?
I'm quite new to Business Process testing, and creating testcases has way too much overhead for me.
Perhaps you can confirm my problems or give me good workarounds, my problems:
- I cannot add comments to a business component, flow or test case. Only in the details tab it is possible to enter some extra info, but no inline comments.
- It is not possible to copy BC from one test case or flow to another with their values, they have to be added in each test case again and again.
- Working with BC/flows/test cases takes up way too much time. Click here, click there, type a parameter, and do the same stuff over again.
- When a flow is changed (BC added/removed) any test case that uses it will only show the differences when it is checked out. This makes flows nearly useless since I cannot see from the flow which test cases uses it. So I have to verify each individual test cases for changed flows. For these and other reasons we are thinking of turning of version control...
- In a test case I can create a group. Within that group I want some BC to use the same parameter, so I promote this parameter. However, there doesn't seem to be a group promotion level. So if I iterate on the group, I still have to enter the parameter multiple times, thus less maintainable.
I can iterate on the the test lab level. However when I look at a test set, I only see the test cases, but I don't see if and how many iterations they have at a glance. I have to open the iterations dialog box to be able to see the iterations.
Because of these reasons I was thinking of instead of creating BUSINESS-PROCESS test cases, it would be better to create QUICKTEST_TEST test cases.
This would allow me to:
- write code => more condensed view
- add header and inline comments => better maintainable
- easier iteration over business components
It doesn't seem to be possible to call business components from VBScript, is this correct?
Judging from the plethora of reactions, it seems not too many people are using BPT..
Any suggestions for our problems?