Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Defect Module Templates

Hi,

I wanted to see if anyone had any insight on defect module "templates"? My manager wants me to explore creating a defect module "template" that can be applied during specific rounds of testing. I am not sure how that is supposed to work when there is defect data already in there from previous rounds of testing, but none the less, I am being asked to explore this. Has anyone ever heard of such a technique?

Take care,
    Mark
    * Mark J. Herbert
    * MarkJHerbert@gmail.com

Apprentice
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded
    The only thing i can think of is to have a GUI Branching/decision made based on the type of testing category, or defect category selected, which is easily done through the workflow. i.e. if defect category = Application, then the required/visible fields are A,B,C whereas if defect category = somethign else, then required/visible fields are C,D and E.
    the defect module template - i haven't heard or come across this methodology (ever).. so can you be more specific on the rounds of testing or the scope of the template (i.e.: what is it supposed to do, why do you need to have it).

To answer your question on the previous defects/data, nothing will change, they will remain the same with the same data. ONLY if you wish to update an old one, then it would conform to the new settings and you would have to capture all the new/required fields etc.
    If you want to do a retro-fit, then you'll have to do a lot of mass updates (it's not impossible or impractical, it will take some while though).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded
    In talking to my boss further on this, what they are looking for in a "template" is a combination of workflow script and SQL code that could basically set the fields to be in a certain position on the screen (workflow), as well as move columns and data around to what it needs to be for a specific testing cycle (goLive) as compared to other testing cycles (SQL). If we get this code right we could apply it to any project when they reach their GoLive round of testing to set things up the way that we want. This is technically challenging and carries high risk if you are talking about moving columns and data around in the back end. I just wanted to see if anyone has attempted this before.
    * Mark J. Herbert
    * MarkJHerbert@gmail.com

Apprentice
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded
    the first part is easy, use the innate workflow for adding/editing new defects, in order to set the fields in the GUI as you please for specific groups (not specific defect types though). i also agree with you that it's too challenging and my 2 cents - definitely not worth it. i think your boss is trying to overcomplicate things when they should be kept simple... and no, i do not know of anyone attempting this kind of column moving and modifying workflows in flight. so sorry couldn't help more, and good luck with it!