1. How do you export the Project?
2. What type of file format is the Project in?
3. Is it easy to export the Project back in if required?
4. When exporting the Project back in, do you have to insert it back into the DB or ALM11?
5. Are there any other support files or structure/schema that would also need to be backed up?
Review the Administrator Guide for information on Import/Export Project. This is a feature available in the Site Admin interface. It extracts both database and Repository data for the project and puts it into a file with the extension .qcp.
HOWEVER, this does not work for large projects. There are many posts on QC forums on the difficulties encountered trying to use Export on large projects. If you have large projects, you need an alternate method.
I am also working on a backup strategy. My thought is to actually use the database backup solution (we use MS SQL) to make a back up of the project db, and also make a copy of the project Repository, and store these off on another device. The project should be deactivated during this process so users can't change the data while the backup is occurring. I haven't worked out all the details, but I plan to automate this solution.
(Opinions and information contained in this post are wholly my own and do not reflect the opinions of my employer.)