Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Setting up Testlab for Multiple Browser testing

Hello,

I just want to understand how should I setup up the TestLab for the testcases I have to run on multiple browsers.

Here are the options Im thinking of..

1) Add the same testcases in different test sets named for every browser
    2) In the single testset add testcases for all browsers. If testcase 1 needs to be executed for 3 browsers name it differently for all three.

Im also thinking If im going to follow # 2 I will have to update the testplan also and add testcases for every iteration/browser.

I dont want to create duplicate testcases. Please suggest how can this be done effectiviely. Thank You.

Advanced Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Setting up Testlab for Multiple Browser testing

What version of QC are you using? In v11 there is something called Test Configurations which may serve your purpose.

We had a similar situation. We had test cases that were procedurally identical, but needed to be executed on different versions of Window Server. We were also tracking multiple versions of the software under test. What we choose to do (before v11) was create one set of test cases in the Test Plan. In the Test Lab, we created a folder for each version of the software under test. Under those folders we created folders for each Windows Server platform where we were going to execute the tests. Then, under those folders we created test sets, and added each of the tests applicable to the platform.

We were not using the Requirements module in this project.

We used the Management module Releases and Cycles to help us identify groupings of test results for reporting on each product version and/or platform tested.
    Trudy C
    (Opinions and information contained in this post are wholly my own and do not reflect the opinions of my employer.)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

We have version 10.0. And, in my project we dont use Release Module. We track the requirements. Thats another thing, if the testcase fails in IE but passes in FF. The status of the requirement will get displayed as Failed even though it has been passed in one of the browsers.

I think im gonna have to create new testset for every browser.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I think that's the best option. If you go with Option 2, then you are duplicating.
    Rajkumar

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Trudy,

As you explained here, even i have tried to implement already for our projects in QC11. We just converted our existing project from VB6 to .net. So our requirements,test set nothing is changed.Just i need to execute it for this new version. I created new folder and fetched all same test cases and executed. But some test cases i need to modify. If i save those changes to test plan, then i will not be able to access those old test cases again. Because sometime, i may have to test our VB6 version too. I have baselined first execution and other entities. So please if you can guide me here how i can retain my old test set with this, would be a great help. Thank you.

Advanced Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

You will have to make copies of the tests in the Test Plan module and use the copied tests for your new testing and update those copies. There is no other way that I know of to have two active and different copies of a test case.

Depending on what has to be changed between the two versions of the test, you may be able to use Parameters, or use Template test cases to keep the unchanged portions the same and allow for flexibility in the portions that need to be modifiable.
    Trudy C
    (Opinions and information contained in this post are wholly my own and do not reflect the opinions of my employer.)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Trudy:
    Thanks for quick reply. It's really helpful. Just a question, as i have baselined first set, is there any method to go and access that and execute it. Or baseline is just to compare between two releases?

Advanced Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I don't use baselines, but I found this in the User Guide (for v11)

Pin a test set to a baseline. This ensures that when you run the test set, the
    versions of the tests stored in a baseline you specify are run. For more
    details, see "Pinned Test Sets" on page 244.

that sounds like you could make a baseline of the old tests, pin the "old" test sets to it, and then make changes to the tests for the new version. Sounds like the "old" test sets would run the old, baselined version of the tests.
    Trudy C

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

HI All,

We had this similar case where in We had to Execute same set of Test cases for Multiple Browsers
    For Eg we have a Scenario which has 10 Test cases and to be executed on 3 different Browsers IE 6,7 and 8.

Currently we have made 3 different Test Folders and Sets in Test Lab where to which we pulled the same cases.
    we have added a Field in test lab ie 'Browser Name' which is used to distinguish the Test Cases to be executed on Different Browser. Thus 10 Test cases are executed on 3 different Browsers and COUNT of Execution is 30