Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

How much customization is too much

Many of us customize QC at the project level or to alter the workflow. I am creating this thread to share the best practices and worst practices when it comes to customizing QC. I will post the first reply based on my experience.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: How much customization is too much

- One of the basic practice is to document each and every change. I feel it is not enough if the comments are in QC. It should be documented outside QC.

- I see "technically savvy" QC admins doing a lot more changes than what is needed. This is to make QC very fancy and feature rich instead of keeping in simple and functional. For example, I have seen people trying to integrate QC database with other in-house developed applications. As a part of this process, many changes are made to the QC tables. Has anyone seen issues with that level of customization when it comes to maintenance and upgrading to next version?

- Users of QC (those who were so used to Excel or Word for test cases) think they want QC to do magic with a click of a single button. To keep them happy, QC admins kind of over-engineer.. Any such experience with others?