QC and QTP Approach help needed

I have 8 tests to automate in QC using QTP.
    As I started to automate the first test I can tell that it will be easier to create and maintain one test script that will cover all 8 tests. Each test is accessing the same screen with just a few different options selected.

So the question is - What is the best approach for QC? Do I mark 8 as automated tests and not attach a script to each and then create one test seperate with the script? I will only be running one test versus 8. These tests will appear as if they are not being run. I can retire them but they are still valid manual tests if someone needs to run them manually.

Do I just create one script for each and make my manger and his metrics happy? My manager loves his metrics.

I will be asking what he wants however I want to make sure I am following an industry standard if there is one.

Re: QC and QTP Approach help needed

Really depends on what sort of overall framework you want to use.

In that case I would create a reusable script that can be driven by data parameters to set the different options. So it would be 8 separate automated tests, that share the same script, but have different data - identified as parameters in QC.