Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Costs / Benefits of upgrading to QC 10.x? ...

My boss's new boss wants me to do a cost/benefit analysis re: us upgrading from QC 9 to QC 10. We have a valid support contract so I don't think it would cost us any cash, other than the time and resources to actually implement the upgrade.

I'm beginning to pull together a bunch of info on it and wondered if anyone else here has done anything like this already and if they had any info, talking points, etc. that they could share?

Thanks very much!

Chris

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Costs / Benefits of upgrading to QC 10.x? ...

I have just finished going from 9.2 to 10.0 (patch 10). There's no real cost involved unless you need new hardware. What os and db are you using?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Thanks, Lindley.

I think we're using SQL Server 2000 and Windows Server. What are you guys doing? Any headaches our trouble upgrading?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

We were SQL 2000 as well with Windows. We used to have both app and db on the same server but as you have to be on SQL 2005 to install V10 we took the opportunity to move the database to a new box. If you can just get your sql 2000 upgraded to 2005 it wouldn't be too bad. I had a lot of problems getting the application to recognise the new database server, but the rest was just uninstall 9.2, install 10.00 and upgrade the database.

There's some utilities to check if your database is ok - it won't upgrade if you have added any sql views or triggers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Your first obvious benefit will be to move from an unsupported version to a supported one.

SQL 2000 is not in the list of supported DB servers. You may have to move to SQL 2005 SP2, which, of course, will make things harder (you'd need first to copy all projects to the new DB server using QC9 and then install QC10 and upgrade the projects).

If you have some custom workflow, you may want to check that no regression exists.

As for functional benefits, it all depends on how you'll be using, or not using, the new features (refer to the What's New part of the on-line help).

All in all, the QC admin work to upgrade is not that much and I tend to consider that the main costs come from the users of the system. Unless you work outside of normal working schedule, the system will be down for all users while you perform the actual upgrade. Users also need to be "trained" to the new features (e.g. the new dashboard). Also, the QC client part is heavier and needs to be downloaded at each workstation. If that takes only a couple of minutes for any given workstation, you easily loose a workday (you just need 240 workstations to be upgraded).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Hi,

You can upgrade QTP 9 to QTP 10 for free and HP would help you if you have a valid contract with a valid SAID. But after installing QTP 10.0 also install the QFE which is a patch for Quick fixes for the 10.0 version.
    I don't build Software but I make them work better, Testing is a Passion

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I know this is an older post....is it possible to upgrade from 9.0 to 10? Will we be required to move to 9.2 prior to 10?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

No. You can update from 9.0 to 10.0 no problem. I've talked to folks who have migrated from TEST DIRECTOR 8.0 to QUALITY CENTER 10.0.

All is possible!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

You need to take into account the new features that QC 10 has and how that will impact your server. QC 10 now has baselining, versioning, and a new test resources tab. How much hard drive space will these new features take up? There may be a cost associated with buying more hard drive space to take advantage of these new features. The new Test Resources Module, do you need it? How are people in your company currently storing their shared repositories, function libraries, etc. What are the + and - of using this new module. How big is your company? How many users are in QC? How many projects do you have? Just some things to think about.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Thanks for the info!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast