Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Solution to the Pains of installing QC10

I thought I'd share this with everyone who might be looking at installing Quality Center 10.0. I just went through the process and it was tedious and annoying. I had to resort to doing a google search and found a forum posting on the HP site where someone had the exact same problems. It wasn't a complete solution but provided a great baseline that lead to getting everything working. Here are the steps I had to go through in case someone else runs into the same problems - here are my scribble notes:
    Installing QC10 was a pain. Had to:
    - Uninstall QC 9.2 - QC 10 requires that the old version be uninstalled first but of course the uninstall utility did not work and it appears others have the same issue (maybe it just doesn't work); used a Quality Center HP forum post for part of this process. Can be found at: http://forums13.itrc.hp.com/service/foru...hreadId=1319122
    - renamed the old 9.2 "QualityCenter" directory to "QualityCenterv92" in case I needed something from it and so the QC10 install utility would not see it.
    - copied the whole "repository" directory structure into a Backups directory. The "repository" directory contains the file system structure for each QC Project - important stuff since all your attachments and automation scripts are here.
    - deleted the Mercury Interactive directory structures found in "c:\program files\mercury interactive" and "c:\program files\common files\mercury interactive"
    - deleted the entries in the registry:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER/software/Mercury Interactive
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINES/software/Mercury Interactive
    - started SQL Server again (looks like it got turned off along the way - probably during the uninstall attempts)
    - ran the install with the validation turned off because it still wouldn't install with everything deleted (even after reboots) (got this tip from the forum posting; the info is in the appendix of the install guide found on the QC 10 DVD), used the command:
    E:\QualityCenter\Installation\win32\setup.exe -W installLocationValidator.active=false
    - copied the file system for each QC Project back under the "repository\qc" directory
    - logged into the QC Site Administration site and ran the "Upgrade Project" on each project to get it current
    > Exported the upgrade project log file after each upgrade in case it is needed later.

Everything worked after this! Good luck everyone!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Solution to the Pains of installing QC10

In fact, you do not need to uninstall QC92 (see this topic on TDForums. You can pass the check for an earlier version by renaming the vpd.properties file in the Windows drectory.

Other steps,like saving the directory structure of projects are normal steps when you upgrade and want to be able tp step back.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Actually I left that step out, I did rename that file like they said and it still didn't work. There must be some hidden file that HP/Mercury hasn't documented that keeps interfering with the install. Over the years I have found it is best to clean up as much as possible of the old release because HP/Mercury has never done a real good job in performing true "upgrades", thus the reason they have resorted back to uninstalling the old version and installing the new one. I posted this info so if other people run into this (which most likely they will) they'll have some resource notes to help them out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

How long did it take for you to successfully get the new version up and running? We're trying to estimate for the higher-ups... Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

are you fasing any issues in project migration with qc 10.0?