Thread: QC for dummies

QC for dummies

This may sound like a stupid question;

How do people 'use' QC during testing?
    I am new to testing, as is the department i'm trying to convince to test. We currently have lots of different projects (not development, more configuring bought software) and would like to know how other people out there use QC.

For the most part, I have been producing printed scripts and then manually entering the results. This is time consuming, and often misses the important information the tester caught during the testing.
    Would the recommendation be to get end users to use QC in real-time?

Just interested to see if anyone has any insight into the world of non-development testing (which is confusing the hell out of me)

Re: QC for dummies

Of course you are right. If the company is only using quality center as a test repository then they probably would save more money by using Sharepoint or Domino Docs to for ILM storage.

Sorry. But if you have manual testing going on and need to import the test results then there are avenues open for the introduction of errors.

Doesn't mean that many corporations don't do it the same way you do. They maybe trying to reduce the cost of HP licenses and Maintanence; however, reduce the productivity and inherently detract from the tests integrity.

Many QC users do use the QC "Manual Runner" interface to capture what they're testing, but many do not.
    Depending on the nature of software you're testing, the fact that the "Manual Runner" dialog window is open can be a distraction as it takes up room on a desktop.
    Many of our testers will use dual monitors to accomodate for this and place the Manual Runner dialog in the 2nd monitor and update as they test.
    One important thing to consider for testing on the fly is that often (frankly, always) test cases may be in sufficient or lacking for detailed data or functionality when they are being executed. This info is important to capture and become part of your "Test Assets" and often can be lost if you track this on paper.

Thanks for your comments/suggestions

You're right of course - ideal would be to use it on the fly - we do have a limitation on the current license to 5 - having said that, at any one time manual testing does not require >5 (so far anyway)

I will endeavour to introduce the testers to QC.

Another point, which raises another question. Regarding changes to script/functionality and changing the "test asset". What is the best way to control this? If a tester changes a step description, or an expected result is actually something different than originally specified - should they make the change there and then - how can i monitor changes to that?

thanks again