Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Preventing deletion of test if it\'s in a set

Greetings.

I'd like to be able to prevent users from deleting a test in Test Plan if that test is in any test set in Test Lab. Unfortunately, there is no indicator in the TEST table (accessible easily from within the Test Plan workflow code in, say, the Test_CanDelete function) that lets me know if the test is in any test set.

Is there any easy way to hit the TESTCYCL table to look for the test's ID in the TC_TEST_ID column to see if it exists anywhere?

As an alternative, I guess I could use the TestSet_CanAddTests and TestSet_CanRemoveTests events to establish and increment counters on the tests in the TEST table, indicating how many test sets the test has been added to. But that seems awful kludgy.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

--m.a.g.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Preventing deletion of test if it\'s in a set

another method I have seen used. Is that all groups are not allowed to delete tests in the Test Lab. Instead a folder "trash" was created and the tests are moved to the Trash when they want them deleted. Then periodically the admin dumps the trash (like end of every cycle). That should give them time to figure out that they really needed the test.

If you search the forums alittle more I think there are some threads regarding test factory filters. That may make your way work a little easier.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Preventing deletion of test if it\'s in a set

Cuthbert --

Thanks for the response!

I didn't find a whole lot of examples that really helped in the forums, but when I checked the OTA API Reference help file, now that I knew what I was looking for, I got what I needed. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

My working code follows, for anyone else who might ever need it. (This is in QC 9.2, for what it's worth....)

-- m.a.g.

Function Test_CanDelete(Entity,IsTest)
    On Error Resume Next

Test_CanDelete = DefaultRes

Dim tsf ' Test in Test Set Factory
    dim tdf ' TestDirector Filter
    dim tsList ' list of tests in test sets

If IsTest Then
    Set tsf = TDConnection.TSTestFactory
    Set tdf = tsf.Filter
    tdf.Filter("TC_TEST_ID") = Entity.Field("TS_TEST_ID")
    Set tsList = tdf.NewList
    If tsList.Count > 0 Then
    ' The test is in at least one test set. Disallow deletion.
    Test_CanDelete = False
    MsgBox "You may not delete tests that are in test sets."
    End If
    Set tsList = Nothing
    Set tdf = Nothing
    Set tsf = Nothing
    End If

On Error GoTo 0
    End Function