Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Testers, developers and analysts cooperation

Hi,

Iím currently starting to work in the project where cooperation beteween analysts, testers and developers is reuqired. For me as a tester, it is the first such a large project to take part in.
    I wonder what are your insight on such a situation?
    Basing on your experience Ė what would you recommend to read/know/be aware of? How did you managed such project, and in what role? Are there any documents/articles etc which could be helpful (Iíve made a search but couldnít find anything about this topic)?

Thanks for your help

Advanced Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Testers, developers and analysts cooperation

Hey Camel,

Your question is too extensive and I guess half the members of the Forum could write at least 100 pages on what you ask.

Personally I've tested and managed all sorts of projects in all sorts of companies and all of them required not only cooperation but coordination and collaboration of Analysts, Developers & Testers (at least usually more parties are involves such as support, end users, documentation, etc).

My best piece of advice is to remember that you as THE TESTER are sitting in the middle of the process, and your job is to provide visibility into the process and the product. In this role you need to make sure to be objective and not take any sides when things start getting rough and tensions build between the teams.

I guess that there is no guide for this but keep looking into sites and Blogs, these are the best places to get experience-based tips, tools and approaches. I can recommend www.satisfice.com (James Bach's site), www.joelonsoftware.com (Joel Spolsky's site) and humbly put my own Blog (link bellow). I guess that in one form or another all of us are just eager to help other guys not to do the same mistakes we all did in the past.

Good Luck!
    -joel
    9 times out 10, less is actually more

PractiTest - QA and Test Management Tool
    QABlog - QA Intelligence Blog

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Agile.
    - M

Nothing learns better than experience.

"So as I struggle with this issue I am confronted with the reality that noting is perfect."
    - Unknown

Now wasting blog space at QAForums Blogs - The Lookout

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Just as simple? [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

With a grouping like that, if you want a successful project, then yes. I'd say take what you can from the process and integrate what is possible, its the only way I have seen things go smoothly where cooperation is required to that level.
    - M

Nothing learns better than experience.

"So as I struggle with this issue I am confronted with the reality that noting is perfect."
    - Unknown

Now wasting blog space at QAForums Blogs - The Lookout

Advanced Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Communication, as much face to face communication as possible.
    We live in the dumbest world on the planet and there's no colour the sky can't be at any given time. Remember that!
    http://dancedwiththetester.blogspot.co.uk/
    http://twitter.com/tonybruce77

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

There's a realy easy answer for this, respect. We often joke about how we each other, but I think that if you haven't already forged a strong relationship with your development staff, then you're already in trouble.

Knowing and caring about my dev staff is always a high priority for me. This is a question you need to ask yourself, "Would anyone on the dev staff care if I was fired tomorrow?" If the answer is no then you're already in trouble.

If you have a mutual respect then they won't want to screw you over, which means they won't band-aid serious issues and will work to fix things properly the first time. Likewise, you need to reciprocate that. So don't log 20 bugs on the same thing to boost your stats.

Ultimately, if you show respect for the developer, or whoever, then they'll show you that same respect, in most cases, and that just means better code getting churned out altogether.

I think there should really be a "Take a Developer for a Beer Day" or an "Adopt a Developer" program (I just trademarked both of those by the way). It doesn't need to be extravagant, just let them know that you notice when they do a good job, and you care about them enough to be respectful when the screw up. Everyone does.

Case in point, there was a developer that worked in the shop where I am right now. Very likeable guy, but there was a whole backend of a web app he inherited that was horrible. I gave him the gears once and a while, but when he did something good with it and improved it, or fixed a major bug, I'd walk past his desk (he had this coffe cup full of change on his desk) and I'd drop him a nickel or something and call it a tip. It actually became a funny little joke and, actually, we were at a point where whenever we had a release I would walk around the office saying how depressed I was because I was testing his code (jokingly) and he would comment how I was testing his code and I wasn't going to find anything because I'm the crappiest tester in the world.

So, the moral of this story is: An enemy will try to screw you over any chance they get, while a friend will only screw you over by accident.
    Brent
    --------------------
    9 out of 10 people I prove wrong agree that I'm right. The other person is my wife.
    --------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

[ QUOTE ]
    Communication, as much face to face communication as possible.

[/ QUOTE ]

That and fostering a team atmosphere instead of an us versus them. I have a great relationship with my designers and testers, because I talk to them. If I find what I believe to be a problem, I don't just dump the bug in their lap, but either give them a heads up or discuss it with them first. If I misunderstood something, it avoids an unnecessary bug and if it really is a problem, they come to realize it on their own and respect you more for it.

There is one developer I deal with that is the exception, and i have to admit, I never ran into anyone like him in my thirty years of QA. He's full of arrogance and believes himself to be a super coder. He cannot stand when someone re-opens a bug on him and even if you try to help him see where the error is occurring will not acknowledge that he can be wrong. I actually had his manager ask me to stop being detailed in my bug reports and just leave it at documenting the symptom (yes, his management team feeds the problem by protecting him). I've dealt with difficult developers before, but we can usually come to a mutual understanding. This guy is in a category all himself and hopefully you never have to deal with a developer that falls into that category.
    Sandy Canetti

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

[ QUOTE ]
    I actually had his manager ask me to stop being detailed in my bug reports and just leave it at documenting the symptom

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like a terrific guy..

What kind of details do you put into your bug reports, aside from documenting the symptoms?
    Joe Strazzere
    Visit my website: AllThingsQuality.com to learn more about quality, testing, and QA!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I would prefer to go as it comes.For me task alloted for me makes the difference and I stay with guys who are related to my task.Of course I had worked in projects which were say going on for 10 years or more and has more than 300 guys inclusive of all teams working on it and is still going on.
    Good talking skills makes the difference here,if we are unsure about anything,ask someone who is right person and then go ahead.If they located in same place,face to face will be good ,if not than maybe you can call them,or use intranet messenger etc to communicate with them.
    Key to success is not to panic in case somethings goes wrong and stay calm if you are unsure of anything.Watch out for accuracy of the statement before you make any statements.
    Well this what I would do and doing now for my project.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast