0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

what is quality

Hello All,
    i have a very strange question which always pops up in my mind,
    what is quality for a product.
    Quality product is defect free product or quality product is the one which is in conformance with the requirements,

becasue some tiem i was in a argument with developers that as long as a product conforms according to the requirements
    is a quality product, and defectto them is soemthing which is nonconformance to the requirements, please share your ideas

thanks in advance
    ramesh

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: what is quality

Quality Software is a reasonably bug-free, delivered on time, within budget, maintainable product fulfulling all the customer requirements and speciiations.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

vibhap, what if customer's requirements and specification are wrong?

SQA Knight
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

gangaputra

People have been arguing for decades on what the holy grail definition of quality, my view no such beast exists. Quality is a relative term which vibhap has kind of highlighted.

WRT software, we write software to fill a purpose which more often then not relates to making money or saving money. If a software item achieves these goals and the users are reasonably happy with using it, to me that is quality software. My view is a simplistic "Fitness for Purpose" but the key is Purpose. The more critical the purpose the more effort is needed to minimise defects.
    Robert Tehve
    rtehve@bigpond.com

SQA Knight
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Labels

A customer requirement is never wrong, it may be poorly documented, but part of a project is to review the requirements.

A saying I use all the time:
    "A document is as only good as the person reviewing it"
    Robert Tehve
    rtehve@bigpond.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Hmmm the question of Quality. What quality is and what quality isn't? I think it's as subjective as everything else.

In the beginning of my Testing career, I would've argued that Quality was defined as 'definitely this' and 'definitely not that', but after 10 years and with pragmatism, failures and experience to back me up, I now would suggest that quality is whatever the person(s) paying for the work to be done says it is. No more no less.

I'd usually see this articulated articulated in exit criteria if you're talking about internal customers. As Testing is the 'internal customer' to the development team, so to are the end users the 'internal customer' for the test team.

For external customers, it would be articulated in the success criteria as in the golden phase of 'I will accept this software if it can do Function 1, 2, 3 and non Fucntional 1, 2, 3 and Reporting 1, 2, 3.

In NZ a well known saying is 'O for Awesome' coined by a famous NZ'er. Since this happened, I've coined my own version of this which is 'K for Quality'. Sounds good, looks terrible. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Good luck with the pursuit.

Cheers
    Chris
    Cheers
    Chris

Test with the heart of a purist. Analyse with the mind of a pragmatist.
    http://jetstream07.blogspot.com/

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

quality is the level at which the customer gets satisfy by your product or software.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I agree with both Chris and Robert - quality is only as good as what is defined in the project plan and/or customer contract. Many a time I've had to pull back from a rant with our project manager and development manager - as much as I would like to see the system working perfectly, sometimes we need to step back and review our scoped deliverables based on the project plan and/or contract.

As the saying goes - garbage in, garbage out..... If the customer requirements aren't up to standard, then it leaves a very dull shade of grey to argue quality.

So, review with your Project Management team what the quality expectations are - so you then have something to aspire to.

Marie.
    ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ *
    I have the heart of a developer -- In a jar on my desk

Blog: http://testermusing.blogspot.com/

Twitter: @reewal

SQA Knight
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

reewal

Your quite right, while a delivery group should adopt "good" engineering/development practices, this is not quality, the customer has to drive quality, not be drunk at the wheel.

I have worked for many external delivery groups where they have left it all up to us. All we can do is use good practices, we are not mind readers second guessing the inner hidden meaning of a poorly documented requirement. If that was an acceptable way to work we would hire sages instead of Architects and BA's.

Often we have resorted to literal interpretations of requirements which (surprise surprise) were wrong ! Contractually we are fine, often such issues are used to get more cash out of the customer (its rife in the building industry). It just does not pay to be passive when you are a customer.

For this and other reasons, I refuse to accept any notions of "Holy Grail" concepts or utopian worlds where perfect processes and methodologies exist. There is no goldern hammer solutions in life or software development ( http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?GoldenHammer )

This catalog is a good laugh
    http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?AntiPatternsCatalog
    See how many you can tick off as having seen or dealt with
    Robert Tehve
    rtehve@bigpond.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

[ QUOTE ]

This catalog is a good laugh
    http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?AntiPatternsCatalog
    See how many you can tick off as having seen or dealt with

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL - Have you worked at the same places I have? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

So, are there any support groups for us veterans who have possibly suffered through most of these? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
    ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ *
    I have the heart of a developer -- In a jar on my desk

Blog: http://testermusing.blogspot.com/

Twitter: @reewal

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast