Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Who is responsible for releases to QA ?

I wonder who is responsible for releases to QA environment in your organization and why? In our shop developers do releases to development environment, release engineers do releases to QA and production environment. As QA I would like to transfer responsibilities for QA releases to QA team. Of course there are few valid point from release engineers, like they want to keep production and QA environment the same, they need to train on QA releases for future productions ones, they do some checks. My point is I would like to do QA releases when I want, not when release guys have time, I want easily to rollback QA release if needed. Our environment is web based applications.

How does it work in your company?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Who is responsible for releases to QA ?

We have a release engineer (SCM) that deals with the daily builds.

QA is responsible for taking the built software and installing/configuring their own environment.

Our Performance & Scalability Team (where I work) is also responsible for our own environment.
    Corey Goldberg
    Homepage: goldb.org
    Twitter: twitter.com/cgoldberg
    Google+: gplus.to/cgoldberg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

[ QUOTE ]
    I wonder who is responsible for releases to QA environment in your organization and why? In our shop developers do releases to development environment, release engineers do releases to QA and production environment. As QA I would like to transfer responsibilities for QA releases to QA team. Of course there are few valid point from release engineers, like they want to keep production and QA environment the same, they need to train on QA releases for future productions ones, they do some checks. My point is I would like to do QA releases when I want, not when release guys have time, I want easily to rollback QA release if needed. Our environment is web based applications.

How does it work in your company?

[/ QUOTE ]

Same as yours. Nothing gets moved into production without a change control, which first moves to QA (via the change control). I think this is the right approach to keep environments consistent. I would say that our release guys are pretty responsive though.

In previos orginasation, I could perform the QA release, but we had a QC environent as well, which was the mirror of prod.

Out of interest, do you have an automated build process?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

We use Cruise Control for build process. I looked how the release engineer manages daily build and looks like it would be not a problem to any QA to do the same. I mean release engineer could still own environment, but at least gives us an access to Cruise Control at least for standard daily builds

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I've been in places where QA's responsibility was:

- QA gets builds from RE and determines time for RE to install, when complete RE is told to move to Production
    - QA gets builds from RE, installs them into QA, when ready RE is told to move to Production
    - QA gets a build, installs in QA, when ready QA puts on RE hat and moves to production

Regardless of how you do it, I prefer to keep an independent group and handle my releases on my schedule, all I ever want from RE is a build that works and I'll take it from there. Lets them have more time for what they want to do and I can get a better handle on how the code works knowing how to install and roll it back myself.
    - M

Nothing learns better than experience.

"So as I struggle with this issue I am confronted with the reality that noting is perfect."
    - Unknown

Now wasting blog space at QAForums Blogs - The Lookout

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

We are actually responsible for our own environments. I can understand why they work it the way you're talking about, though, since we often have environmental issues that could be curbed by adhering to a commonly accepted process.

On the other hand, if we can find these environmental issues, too, then we know it will work in places other than a vacuum!
    Brent
    --------------------
    9 out of 10 people I prove wrong agree that I'm right. The other person is my wife.
    --------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

In my opinion once the scale and complexity of QA releases exceeds even a low threshold it is far better that a separate group manages/operates the builds.

I can understand that for financial reasons smaller organizations must allow for 'odd jobbing' and less defined roles.

On the other hand in large organizations it can be frustrating waiting for stressed release teams to respond and you wish you could just do it yourself.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Quality Manager is responsible for releases

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

katherinejones, Who is Quality Manager? What else s/he is doing?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Maybe the QA Manager in your company, but that's not the same for everyone.
    - M

Nothing learns better than experience.

"So as I struggle with this issue I am confronted with the reality that noting is perfect."
    - Unknown

Now wasting blog space at QAForums Blogs - The Lookout

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast