Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Quality Assurance as a career

hey guys! i've been in QA for almost 3 years now and just started wondering whether QA could be a fruitful career or not?. In my opinion, QA is not regarded with great respect. I mean whenever i tell someone i'm a QA, their response is usually like, alteast how it seems, since you couldn't do anything else you got into QA. This has started to [stupid is as stupid does] me off a little bit. Am i stressing for no reason? Or i need therapy? Or should i actually venture in another field? Help please! i'm beginning to have a panic attack... [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
    Long Live QA!!
    or we'll be out of business.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Quality Assurance as a career

What is it about QA that you like or love? Are those qualities something you can find in something else? Is that something else attainable (financially, emotionally, physically)? Then what kind of effort is involved to change and do you wish to make that effort?

Or are you just reacting to a bad situation either with people you are currently working with on a team, on a project, within the company perhaps? Have you talked it over with your manager? Maybe your manager can make some changes.

I love QA, but when I first arrived at my current company, I was shocked at the lack of a software QA process and it made me question a lot of things. 8 months later, my company is implementing a process that the software engineering team collaborated on what is the best option that works here while I personally instigated the change. Now, the company is better for the change and the collaboration. There is a recognition of team work between developers and SQA, as well as a bit of a better understanding of how things are done.

So what are you specifically not happy with, really take the time to examine exactly what is the trouble. Maybe the answer is simple, maybe not. But try not to generalize as it's really the easy solution to a problem that is much more complex.
    Going out of your comfort zone requires failure. True genius is measured by your recovery.

...Jean Ann
    www.perfectpitchmarketinginc.com
    http://on.fb.me/PPM100
    www.projectrealms.com/

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

donshon,

I happen to love my career, and the misguided mumblings of others don't affect me at all.

But if it bothers you that much, you should definately change careers.

We all work too hard, for too many hours, and too many years, not to enjoy our work.
    Joe Strazzere
    Visit my website: AllThingsQuality.com to learn more about quality, testing, and QA!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

It's a better career than parking warden, tax inspector or car salesman.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Most of the QA's I have met would do nothing else besides what they do. That includes myself. However, there are some who are just in because it pays their bills and if they were better developers, they would have never been QA's, ever.

So, its just a matter of preference and capability.

If you really feel that you are not getting what you really want out of your career, you should really give something else a try. If this is your present situation, and it has been for a while now, you should really sit down, think hard about what is that you really want to do, if not QA.

I don't think you are stressing, to really answer your question. Its just a way you feel.
    Regards,

Anshoo Arora
    Relevant Codes

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

It depends... what you've done before or what could you do.
    By the way, I was a programmer (and a very good one, with all my modesty), I was project manager, functionar manager, tester and now I'm QA... (QA not testing) because I wanted too. I've started the carrer in this field because there was the need but nobody has the courage of doing something. QA indeed it's not treated with great respect, but I was... after I proved I can do something usefull.
    I agree it's still happening to be treated as an "alien" when I talk first time with programmer or even managers, even if I have ten times more experience in their area of expertise. It's something you should expect and accept in this area and you should continuously fight to change this perception. This is up to you. If you cannot do it in your environment, maybe you should change your job, or the company.
    Don't worry, be Happy!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

You ask me 12 years ago what I would be, I would have never said, or thought QA. But here I am now. I know with technical support, burnout rate is rather high, and I did that for about 2 years total, spread over 3 jobs. But, here I am now and I like it. I like to explore software, and automation is even more fun since there's the programming & problem solving element to it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

It varies, depending on the company culture and the skills and competance of the individual testers. When a previous employer of mine got bought, the managers and developers coming in from the new corporate overlords encountered some culture shock - they were accustomed to regarding testers as technicians, and now they were dealing with a professional testing organization, where the senior testers were treated as peers of the senior developers, including compensation. (Not always a good thing, as it meant we were in the pool for "Customer Service can't handle it" customer support along with the senior developers ...)

The *good* developers I've worked with have always figured out pretty quickly that I was their peer, with a different technical specialty. Work on your expertise, and respect will come. (Or if it doesn't, genuine expertise will let you go somewhere else where it does.)
    Meredith

My blog is "Testing and Telephony" at
    http://www.sqablogs.com/meredithcourtney/

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Hello,

I don't think you should worry about the remarks you hear. QA is a very challenging and rewarding career; these days there are companies who work exclusively on QA. There are plenty of opportunities around and the future looks bright. Most of the times, those who make such remarks do not have any idea about QA.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I believe you should venture into another field. Disrespect to QA is prevalent throughout the industry and is especially prevalent in developers. You have been doing QA for 3 yrs and it seems you already resent the disrespect, this resentment will only grow as you gain more and more experience. In addition, as you gain more and more QA experience you will find it increasingly harder to change careers.

If you are looking for someone to blame for this resentment, blame the corporations that treat QA and testing as an entry level position. Many managers believe any monkey off the street could do QA and therefore hire monkey's. These monkey's destroy our field and our credibility.

One morning you will wake up with 10 yrs QA experience, in an Agile Development driven world, wondering, "What the *&^* am I doing with my life"
    [b]John Cook[b]
    Efficient QA

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast