Thread: QA Costs

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

QA Costs

I am currently working with a vendor is who submitting and estimate for work. The estimate includes QA costs at a rate that is equal to 40% of the development costs. Is this around the industry standard so to speak? What type of range should one expect for vendor QA testing? Should the QA testing be reflective of the development task risk? Some on my team feel this is high while others say it is accurate. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: QA Costs

I know of no magic formula that will cover every scenario. There's no inherent preset relationship between development cost/time and testing cost/time.

40% may or may not be a good starting point from which you can derive a more precise ratio for your particular situation.

This might help:
    http://www.sqablogs.com/jstrazzere/150/W...st+Time%3F.html
    Joe Strazzere
    Visit my website: AllThingsQuality.com to learn more about quality, testing, and QA!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

So, the rate can be determined by our assessment of risk associated to the overall project. A task considered a high risk could then require more testing and a higher cost percentage. A task with a low risk would require less testing and thus a lower cost percentage. The key is for us to identify these risks and propose a lower rate for the low risk items.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

(shrug)

I've never found a simple way to come up with such a percentage that was meaningful, even factoring in "risk".

For me, it always seems very dependant on many other factors, but your shop may be different.

Good luck.
    Joe Strazzere
    Visit my website: AllThingsQuality.com to learn more about quality, testing, and QA!

SQA Knight
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

dakk

Depends what you call QA activities.

For example if an Architect reviews an test plan is that a QA activity or not ?

What about code reviews, design reviews, schedule reviews...... it all comes down to nomenclature and what you perceive QA is all about ! Many organisations regard QA as product assurance (more QC in nature) others have a more broader definition.

If you add up all the checks, unit testing, reviews, inspections, testing etc on a complex software project 40% could easily be a gross under estimation.

Minor clarification, we are talking labour costs ?
    Robert Tehve
    rtehve@bigpond.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I work with Dakk. He is asking about labor costs from the vendor who is writing the software for our organization.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I don't know if you can draw a correlation between risk and the costs of QA vs Dev. I mean there might be a super high-risk project, but it's, really, just a few thousand lines of code. Whereas, some less risky projects might be tens or hundreds of thousands of lines of code. In this case, the later would require more dev time AND more QA time.

Before you start trying to create a metric like this, you really need to have some better historical data. There also need to be more measurements taking place than just risk. You need to consider size of the project, number of developers on the project, amount of QA resources, experience, bug density, etc. Then you can toss risk into the mix, but you need to see a big picture in order to say, for sure, that risk is a defining factor. It would be like looking at a bluejay and saying that every bird is blue. Based on your limited study, yes, 100% of the birds you saw were blue, but there are tons of places you haven't even looked.

It's ok to try and prove a metric or a theory that you have, but I wouldn't take it to management with a narrow point of view, or it'll probably get more holes punched in it than a block of Swiss Cheese.
    Brent
    --------------------
    9 out of 10 people I prove wrong agree that I'm right. The other person is my wife.
    --------------------