Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Rejecting Testing Schools

Clients, Contexts and Schools:
    http://uktmf.com/blog/paulgerrard/20...d_schools.html

Paul Gerrard wrote an excellent article rejecting the notion of schools of testing (contextual school, etc). Well.. not rejecting the ideas, but a good explanation of why he doesn't belong to any school of testing.

I used to somewhat buy the "Schools" idea, but after more thought I think its naive and limiting.

I hereby declare myself No-School.
    Corey Goldberg
    Homepage: goldb.org
    Twitter: twitter.com/cgoldberg
    Google+: gplus.to/cgoldberg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Rejecting Testing Schools

Corey,

This is an excellent blog. Since I am a consultant also, I can't choose client's overall testing methodology. Interestingly enough, my world (Test Automation/Performance testing) does not have too many dependencies on what testing process used.

Anyway, can I join your No-School school? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Igor

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

So, contextually speaking, you are part of the "No-School" School of Thought?
    Joe Strazzere
    Visit my website: AllThingsQuality.com to learn more about quality, testing, and QA!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

nope.. No-School is a not a name of a school. rather, it is not a school at all.
    Corey Goldberg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

You know what? In generaly, I've really started to hate the whole "schools" debate. I am actually part of a context-driven group and I participated initially, but it very shortly became old.

I think that schools can do a good job of characterising how you are planning on attacking a particular problem. For instance, if I say I will be doing a round of ET, then you know what I'll be doing.

In the end, though, will my PM really care what school I'm part of if the project releases with a huge error? Can I use the excuse, "But I'm part of the Quality School!" if they're going to fire me because my last 3 projects have shipped with big errors?

I think that the merits that schools provide are kinda like building blocks. If I were new and just getting started, I could read about the different schools and use my own reasoning to determine a hybrid method that might give me the most success, but in the end success is all that will matter to anyone that matters. I don't think that conforming to any one single way of doing things is a great idea. I mean, in our field, we are constantly preaching that there, "...isn't a silver bullet solution.", but they we'll go ahead and argue that one school is better than another, or that we should be using a single process of doing things.

I think that this type of a thought will work for us, until that is we fail and then it will be a matter of analyzing what we did wrong and why it happend, and adjusting for the future.

So I guess that I would consider myself as being part of the Adaptive School. That's right, I've invented another new school (what? Like Corey is the only one that can have his own school). The Adaptive School states that testing is an ever-changing entity. Members of the Adaptive School use their knowledge and expertise in many different schools and techniques and continuously adapt their testing strategy based on feedback from QA team members or other teams within or outside of the project.

Is that vague enough? OH! Also, I'm going to be creating a new technique called the Graduated Intensity Formulation. I have NO idea what it means yet or what will happen, but I think it's important to get the buzz words flowing first, then we can worry about what they really mean.
    Brent
    --------------------
    9 out of 10 people I prove wrong agree that I'm right. The other person is my wife.
    --------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Brent,
    I like the "Adaptive School" (Though No-School has a nice ring to it).

The funny thing is that many high profile advocates for the Context-Driven School seem to ignore context completely.
    Corey Goldberg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I am, and will remain 'Old School'. The 'Old School' way of thinking is pretty simple, with just one underlying concept. If you ship it, and it comes back with lots of bugs, it wasn't tested properly [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

[ QUOTE ]
    Brent,
    The funny thing is that many high profile advocates for the Context-Driven School seem to ignore context completely.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lol, yeah, I think it's a little funny sometimes too. Although lots of times I also agree with what they have to say. Actually, a lot of the time you can't disagree with what they have to say.

The nice thing about the Adaptive School is that you can sit in a lecture on any other school and just join in the rally and agree with everything they say. Then you can critique it yourself and tear it apart in conversation with people in different schools, or pass it on, if it's a good tidbit. This is the Adaptive School way. It's a little like Robin Hood, robbing from the rich and giving to the poor. Only there is less robbing and nobody is really representative of the rich and the poor are probably on the same wealth-scale as the rich. So, really, it has nothing to do with Robin Hood.

Oh! Another term from the Adaptive School will be Gyroscopic Parallelism. What it means is that two similar systems can be operating in similar ways but perform differently under the same circumstances due to external or internal influences. Therefore, we must adapt our testing to expose areas of Gyroscopic Parallelism.
    Brent
    --------------------
    9 out of 10 people I prove wrong agree that I'm right. The other person is my wife.
    --------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

[ QUOTE ]
    Oh! Another term from the Adaptive School will be Gyroscopic Parallelism. What it means is that two similar systems can be operating in similar ways but perform differently under the same circumstances due to external or internal influences. Therefore, we must adapt our testing to expose areas of Gyroscopic Parallelism.

[/ QUOTE ]
    As an example, if two tops are spinning at the same speed, the one that will stop earlier will be the one you touch.

Did I get that right ? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Exactly! Damn, I'm good at these buzz words.

Or the inverse of that would be that two tops spinning with the exact same amount of force, at the exact same angle, on the exact same surface, wil exhibit the exact same results unless there is internal or external interference.
    Brent
    --------------------
    --------------------

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast