Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

How\'s the job market in New Zealand?

I just took a look at the NZ immigration site and it looks like I finally have enough points to qualify for a visa based on work experience, assuming I can get a job offer from a qualified company. Lining up this kind of offer while still overseas sounds rare, so I'd need to take a bit of a risk in moving there then finding a job.

Does anyone have more information about what the market is like for experienced testers in New Zealand, especially in Wellington? Is there a lot of hiring going on, and is being from the US a plus or minus?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: How\'s the job market in New Zealand?

Hey Brian,

I only noticed this today so sorry if you're already sorted.

The Wellington market's very busy for Test (being the centre of government, there's loads of big projects going on) either as a Permie or Contractor.

Country of origin wouldn't be an issue as long as you've got the right work visa etc.

If there's anything I can do to help, EMail me on

email removed by moderator

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Keith will know better than I. However there has seemed like a large number of QA jobs advertised within the last year (possibly longer). This is based on the jobs advertised purely on seek.co.nz

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Yes, there are a ton of jobs listed on seek.co.nz. It's also nice to see a seperate category for test/SQA! I guess I just wanted a little extra encouragement before I quit my job, pack up my stuff, and fly down there. I'm thinking of heading down for a visit sometime around July to get a feel for what the city is like in Winter and maybe talk to some recruiters.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

[ QUOTE ]
    Yes, there are a ton of jobs listed on seek.co.nz. It's also nice to see a seperate category for test/SQA! I guess I just wanted a little extra encouragement before I quit my job, pack up my stuff, and fly down there. I'm thinking of heading down for a visit sometime around July to get a feel for what the city is like in Winter and maybe talk to some recruiters.

[/ QUOTE ]

Living in Australia and having many friends/family in NZ, hence travelled there extensively. I've found that alcohol is very cheap compared to Australia. Blue collar wages are low, and many travel to Australia trying to find better paying work. Gang culture is much higher in NZ than Australia, there are certain areas in Wellington to stay clear of, unless you know people in those areas (probably the same in some Australian places but I am yet to encounter it).
    I love the place and can't wait to go there again but Australia is now my home, except when it comes to Rugby Union as I will never barrack for Australia.