Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Need help in wording my work on my resume.

Finding out that your project is abruptly being cut down always take its toll. Its effect on me is that I cant even update my resume. I would appreciate your help in wording my work appropriately for my resume.
    Before i start i would like u to know that the company i was working for is a financial institution.

I'm confused because there were different projects running simultaneously.
    One project is data migration. Company is moving from old repository system to new repository system for which i performed data validation and data integration. The company's in-house reporting tool is being upgraded from VB6 base to .NET base so it's functionality is being tested as well. I also tested the application to see whether it will work fine when the data from new repository starts pouring in.
    Second project is to create fake transactions from existing applications and push it to the new repository. An in-house application is used to push these transactions into the repository which further populates a new third party General Ledger(GL)application. Since the repository is being changed and a new GL application is being introduced, I validated that data also.
    I hope i made my self clear if not then please feel free to ask questions. While doing all the work it didnt seem so confusing but when it comes to writing about it, it has sure made my head spin quite a bit.
    Any help will be greatly appreciated.
    Long Live QA!!
    or we'll be out of business.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Need help in wording my work on my resume.

Just briefly describe each project and your role in them. For example:

The following projects ran simultaneously:

Project 1
    This project was an internal Data migration project which moved whatever was stored previously in a VB6 system to a .net system. From inception to completion the project took x months(weeks/years).

Responsibilities
    - Review Documentation?
    - Produce Test Approach?
    - Produce Test Plan?
    - Run manual testing to prove the migration process
    - After migration performed data validation and data integration between xyz system and uio system.
    - Full System Regression Test
    - Report Progress to xyz

Project 2
    etc

I hope this gets you started and good luck in finding a new role.
    Richard Hunter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I'd just note the work you did in the project in a sentence or two, during interviews you can elaborate more and answer questions asked of you. Such as "Validation and Integration on Data Migration project, utilized...blah blah blah." Personally I don't like to see too much detail in a resume, I want the highlights and if the work you are doing is interesting or fits my needs I'd call and ask for more information. Conciseness is also good, as it shows your communication style, if you can't effective mention work in a resume how do I know your communication in work will be any better?

Remember the resume IS your first impression.

- M
    - M

Nothing learns better than experience.

"So as I struggle with this issue I am confronted with the reality that noting is perfect."
    - Unknown

Now wasting blog space at QAForums Blogs - The Lookout

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

michaeljf - I also do not like a long resume, 2 pages is ideal. Out of interest which bits did you find too detailed in my reply?
    Richard Hunter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I'd have merged the responsibilities into the Project description. The details should come out in the discussion over the resume and in the probing in past work. I'm with you, after 2 pages I tend to lose interest.
    - M

"So as I struggle with this issue I am confronted with the reality that noting is perfect."
    - Unknown

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Thanks michaeljf, that sounds like a good plan, I will try it on my CV, currently has (horror) gone onto the third page and I am struggling to get it back.....having said that we are recruiting at the moment and the current record holder is 12 pages, so perhaps 3 is ok:-)
    Richard Hunter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

No problem.

12?!?! The longest I ever saw was 6 pages, but the man did a lot of consulting and the work went back about 12 years so I gave a little leeway on that. 12...I wouldn't even bother.
    - M

- Unknown

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

My resume' for the Dept. of Defense was 26 pages. That was the norm for SF-171-based resumes'.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I expect that for a government employee, not someone in the corporate sector...or whatever sector is outside government.
    - M

- Unknown

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

"For more than a quarter century, Standard Form 171 reigned supreme. It was the federal government's universal job application form, aptitude test, initiation ceremony and career passport all rolled into one."

I don't know if I'd call that a resume. It's more of an information... wad. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast