Thread: QA and QC

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

QA and QC

I feel QC and QA are two really confusingly used terms. If QA refers to Process oriented concepts then why are many testing teams called the QA? Do they mean Quality Analysts?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: QA and QC

Most testers I know have Quality Assurance in the title of their position or group even though they may not have a real QA role.

People also use "QA" as a verb to refer to testing.

Testing by itself is also not QC.

Testing is just part of the overall QA and QC effort.

If have found that the meaning of words often has very little to do with their application in giving people and groups titles. Titles are often selected because they give the appearance of being better than another title.

Quality Assurance Engineer sounds more impressive than Tester.

Department of Software Quality Assurance sounds more impressive than Software Testing Group.

I know of "engineers" that don't engineer anything. I know of "analysts" that don't analyze anything. I know of leads that don't "lead" anything. I've known of juniors that manage. I've known of seniors that only follow the orders of others.

Titles and roles are often very different.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Sohan,

QA as Quality Assurance in some organizations refers to processes/practices intended to prevent defects. Processes/practices typically include analyses, reviews, inspections, walkthroughs and very specific process controls.

QC as Quality Control in some organizations refers to testing as many tend to think of it here as defect detection via activities that include functional/regression testing, etc. In some organizations QC means something altogether different.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Thanks JakeBrake,Ben. The terms QA and QC become especially difficult to comprehend in organizations like mine where the testers are called "QA" and the people who deal in process improvements are called the "QC" (Quality Coordinators)!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

[ QUOTE ]
    The terms QA and QC become especially difficult to comprehend in organizations like mine where the testers are called "QA" and the people who deal in process improvements are called the "QC" (Quality Coordinators)!

[/ QUOTE ]

This is an important observation.

My current organization used to use SQA (Software Quality Assurance) to refer to group that developed and implemented processes intended to improve quality, and STG (Software Testing Group) to refer to those that test the software. We are now all called "QA".

Organizations will use a variety of terminology. There is no single right set of definitions for many of the terms in our business. (Although some certification folks will say there is: their definition.) It is important to realize that definitions vary and to learn what people mean when they use a term. In your organization, terms will likely be used in ways that differ from others. Learn what they mean in your context and be aware that others from outside your context may use terms differently.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

[ QUOTE ]
    Thanks JakeBrake,Ben. The terms QA and QC become especially difficult to comprehend in organizations like mine where the testers are called "QA" and the people who deal in process improvements are called the "QC" (Quality Coordinators)!

[/ QUOTE ]

This is BS! I don't know why people insist on assigning acronyms which already have common, industry-accepted meanings. QC means Quality Control. Look up on any acronym finder and I would challenge anyone to match this with Quality Coordinator.

Unfortunately Stubby, in some organizations there are people who have exhausted their usefullness. Unfortuantely, these people are also too senior to let go without a huge cost. So the company just makes up a name (they may as well have called it QAG or Quality Assurance Graveyard) assigns these people to the position as a "promotion" and then sees how long it takes them before they break.

Quality Coordinator, to me, means nothing. Do these people make all the tough decisions? Or are they only responsbile for documentation. In either case, sounds like a pretty sweet position.

I hate to rant, but it ****es me off when companies feel the need to "mix it up". Not to mention when they ask you the question in an interview. Like, "What is QA?" then you give your answer and they look dumbfounded and reply, "Ok, but what does this have to do with Quantity Analysis?"
    Brent
    --------------------
    9 out of 10 people I prove wrong agree that I'm right. The other person is my wife.
    --------------------