Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Heading out of Dodge??

Have you guys work in an environment where you are supporting application tools and yet are given nothing to work with. I am with a company where I am supporting QC,BAC,LR,QTP and yet for QC and BAC, I dont even have a testing server to work with. So, I can learn new version of the tools or if needed to make changes, it would be in PROD.

I have brought this up plenty and yet no actions from management.

Any input would be great.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Heading out of Dodge??

Just an idea. Maybe you could use virtual machines on your local desktop?

MArk B.
    If you're a slave to your free associations, does it automatically become something else?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I did work in such a place...it is simple economics: the amount of damage you can cause to your users by bringing down a 'prod' server does not justify the cost of acquiring a test server [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
    (or they do not understand the impact)...numbers (read dollars) always help when talking to management, your recommendation should include the need for a test environment and the rationale for it in terms frequency of impact/damage to users of the 'prod' environment if it goes down because of 'testing'.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

The problem is because the 2 managers that I have work for doesnt have the stones to approach the director for this request. They realized the importance of having a test environment but are stalling until i FUBR the job.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Are you sure the two managers are convinced ? If they are (with the assumption that you provided objective data) then CYA by keeping copies of all the emails you have sent and data you have gathered. Wait for the day when it crashes & burns...feel sorry for you actually...you cannot take risks with the fear of breaking stuff...no risk no reward.