Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Should I start looking for job?

Last week I requested skip level meeting with manager of my manager to discuss my recent salary raise (which was very low) during conversation he mentioned that one of the reasons for low raise - my work load is very low (I think opposite) and for example I'm coming to work at 9.30 (Actually I coming to work around 8.45).

My question is should I send all email to him that I send last year between 8.45 - 9.30 to prove I'm right or should I just start looking for a new job?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Should I start looking for job?

Labels,

Trying to prove that you deserve a better raise by sending emails showing 45 minutes worth of attendance is unlikely to help your situation.

Nobody can tell you if you should start looking for a job or not. But if you think your low raise warrants leaving, then you should probably leave.

Before you do, you should examine why there is such a difference in your perception of your work level and the perception of your managers.
    Joe Strazzere
    Visit my website: AllThingsQuality.com to learn more about quality, testing, and QA!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I'm also surprised with perception of my work level, but you see if he doesn't not the obvious stuff (work hours) about my work how he would know about work level.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

[ QUOTE ]
    I'm also surprised with perception of my work level, but you see if he doesn't not the obvious stuff (work hours) about my work how he would know about work level.

[/ QUOTE ]

Perhaps you should prepare a discussion document that details what you do, why it is complex, approximate amount of time it takes, benefit it provides, etc. Perhaps your manager is simply unaware of what all it takes to do your job.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I would not use 'OR' in your situation.
    Should you look for a new job? - Yes
    Should you talk to your management? - Yes

IMO, these 2 things are not related.

It looks like that you are on top of layoff list already. It is just a matter of time before you leave one way or another.
    Don't get upset and don't waste your time thinking about it. Work toward your goals and in few years you will laugh about the whole situation.

Igor

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

[ QUOTE ]

It looks like that you are on top of layoff list already. It is just a matter of time before you leave one way or another.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. Unfortunately this sounds like one of those all-too-common situations where a manager starts collecting somewhat questionable documentation about an employee's poor performance to create context for an eventual firing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Let me rephrase the question. What should I discuss with the manager and how to check perceptions of my work?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Ask him for examples of where he felt the amount of work you accomplished or the rate at which you accomplished it was inappropriately low. Ask him what the expectations are for work load -- and try not to let him get away with vague answers such as "finishing things in a reasonable amount of time".

Do your best to listen to his answers before jumping to the defensive. Perhaps you are working at an appropriate pace for each of your task but legitimate problems you may have slowed you down. If he didn't know about these problems, then it would be easy for him to think that you're working slowly. So one possibility is that you just need to work on communicating more with him when you hit problems.

Obviously I have no idea of what the actual problem is -- if any. What I suspect though is that there is some disconnect or problem here. If you can figure out why he thinks you're not working fast enough, you can probably find out what the real problem is. You may be surprised to find out that it's even something that is very easy to change.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I don't believe the problem is with him. I think the issues are with your boss. Your bosses boss will most likely key off of what your own boss tells him. Maybe you should sit down with your boss and ask him if you are doing a good job and how could you do a better job. Something to always remember:

Perception is Fact!
    Personal Comment

Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.
    ~ Winston Churchill ~

...Rich Wagner

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

[ QUOTE ]
    I don't believe the problem is with him. I think the issues are with your boss. Your bosses boss will most likely key off of what your own boss tells him. Maybe you should sit down with your boss and ask him if you are doing a good job and how could you do a better job. Something to always remember:

Perception is Fact!

[/ QUOTE ]
    What do you mean by "perception is fact"? Perceptions are only true as perceptions and often don't reflect the true nature of the problem. Perceptions can be challenged, and I've often found problems in perception are much easier to correct than actual problems in performance.

I've also found problems caused by an incorrect perception are more common than I would have originally thought -- that's why I suggested trying to find out if that's the case here before jumping jobs. But in order to find that out, one really needs to be able to openly listen to what the other is saying.

Unless this is a systematic and ongoing problem between you and your boss, Labels, I wouldn't suggest that the first thing to cross your mind should be leaving. There will always be bumps in the road and imperfect working relationships no matter where you are.

Good luck with whatever you choose, and keep us posted.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast