Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

What would you want in a QA team lead?

I have the opportunity to help in interviewing my future QA Team Leader. I am curious to know what you would want in your QA team leader.

My first thoughts were someone who would back the QA team members up. Someone who would be able to defend and promote the team and keep the team motivated. I also beleive that the QA lead should have a very good understanding of QA and testing.

My fellow interviewers (who are not a part of the QA team)do not think that a deep QA background was necessary for the QA team lead position. They seemed to think that a team leader needs management, communication and people skills first. I think that if you are hiring a QA team lead they need to have a good understanding of QA first. The last team leader did not have a QA background but the team was just forming. She was doing a good job but had only been the lead for a few months when she decided to leave.

So if you could pick your QA lead what would you look for?
    Jen

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: What would you want in a QA team lead?

A question for you, do you have a QA Manager as well? If no, do all the testers report to the QA Lead? And who would the QA Lead report to?

I ask these, for the skills I look forward depend upon the answers to these questions.

Betsy

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I'm with Betsy, to me a Team Lead is just that, leader of a Team, what you are describing as qualifications are what I would expect of a QA Manager. The skills I would look for are different depending on whether the person was leading a Team within the QA organization, or leading the entire QA organization.

- M
    - M

Nothing learns better than experience.

"So as I struggle with this issue I am confronted with the reality that noting is perfect."
    - Unknown

Now wasting blog space at QAForums Blogs - The Lookout

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I would look for someone that has a strong background in testing, preferably with some of that on the platform(s) that are being used at your company - I would expect a team lead to be able to guide and train the team members in QC/Testing work - that is difficult to do if it is not in your background. I would generally look for someone that has Team Lead experience, if I am going outside of the company and not promoting from within I tend to look for prior experience rather than someone that can be trained into it.

The above is generic and may change depending on your answer to Betsy's question.
    Lynne

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work" --Thomas Edison

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I agree with Lynne, QA team lead should certainly have good knowledge of QA/Testing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

A Team Lead is like a Sgt. in the Army. s/he should be respected, (prior to being promoted), by his/her people. Looked up to for guidance. Have experience gained by years in the fox-holes on the front line. Overall a seasoned veteran. In the absence of the manager s/he is expected to lead and represent his/her people whenever called upon. The Lead should also be constantly developing leadership traits in order to move on up the chain of command as well as constantly training his/her people to do the same.

A good Team Lead must bring Bagels at least once each week.
    Personal Comment

Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.
    ~ Winston Churchill ~

...Rich Wagner

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

While I agree with the bulk of what Rich said, at my company, bringing in bagels would be seen as offensive. While most of the team are young(er than me) females, a large proportion think of bagels as "old people food" - having brought them in once. oops.

Jelly, cream and custard filled donuts, however...

You see? Everything can vary by location!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I used to maintain a pretzel jar, but that was my job as a manager.

Now as a contributor I tend to have whatever special of snack is available at the CostCo that week, plus I like oatmeal.

- M
    - M

Nothing learns better than experience.

"So as I struggle with this issue I am confronted with the reality that noting is perfect."
    - Unknown

Now wasting blog space at QAForums Blogs - The Lookout

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

There is a Manager who has a QA team lead and the BA team lead reporting to him.

I will add an interview question about what special snack they will be providing. Cookies are pretty high on the snack list around here.
    Jen

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast