Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Resumes

So,

I got laid off of my current.. well past job. I met with a recruiter today who told me that my resume needs sprucing up. Apparently when writing a QA resume you need to include dang near everything you did even up to turning on the computer properly. So.. my question is.. If you were a manager what would you look for in a resume?

Note: I am not one of those people who cheat on resumes. I *only* put in things that I actually have done. I am more looking for format suggestions [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Resumes

Depends on the position I am hiring for, if it was for automation I would be looking for similar tools or even tool use in the past. Make it relavent for the job, don't put in stuff that has no bearing on the position unless you want to showcase your work. While I am sure the recruiters want you to put everything I put enough to give an employer an idea of my work, but try to keep everything down to two pages - my attention span wanders are two so I don't want to read more. Sometimes hobbies are an interesting ice breaker, and provide some insight into who the person across the table from me is.

- M
    - M

Nothing learns better than experience.

"So as I struggle with this issue I am confronted with the reality that noting is perfect."
    - Unknown

Now wasting blog space at QAForums Blogs - The Lookout

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Personally....I don't want to see everything you have ever done....that's way too much information. The recruiter probably told you to do that so they can put you in their database and have more hits on key word searches.

I know that CVs that Europe and the rest of the world uses are different than resumes in the US. But here is what I look for:

- 2 pages maximum. I don't have time to read anything more.
    - A section on the tools & technologies you have experience with.
    - Schooling and any certifications. While I don't necessarily put a whole lot of weight on certifications, some organizations do.
    - A chronological summary of your past positions. Include what you did...and what the result was. For example, if you were the lead tester for a project, tell the reader what result/benefit you provided being the lead tester.
    - I've been advised that if you have been in the market place for more than 10 years....do not put more than 10 years on your resume. First, what you did 10+ years ago probably isn't relevant any more (unless you are trying to change careers and what you did in the past helps you in that change), and second...it gives your age away. While age discrimination is not allowed...you certainly don't want to help anyone put you in the "too old" category subconsciously.
    - Be sure to proof read your resume. Have others proof read. Get someone who doesn't know the industry to proof read....anything to catch the easy spelling mistakes, grammar mistakes, duplicate entries, etc. Since I'm usually looking for detailed oriented resources, a lack of attention to detail on a resume usually gets that candidate placed in the "nope" pile.

The other piece of advice I can give you is to save your resume as a .doc and as a .txt file. Many of the on-line application systems will convert your MS Word document to .txt or .rtf….and you loose all formatting when this happens. If you take the time to modify the formatting in a .txt file, it will make it much easier for you to copy/paste your resume into those systems…and have it readable and presentable to a reader on the other end.

Good luck with your search. I know it's a stressful time (been there, done that) but hopefully your search will be a short and fruitful one!

Betsy

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Sorry to hear about your layoff.

When I read resumes, I look for indications that the individual can do the job I'm trying to fill, and would be happy doing it. The specifics will differ depending on the job, and the job level.

Incidentally, most of the online job sites have a section with Resume tips. For example:
    http://content.monster.com/resume/home.aspx
    http://hotjobs.yahoo.com/resume
    http://www.careerbuilder.com/JobSeek.../Articles.aspx
    Joe Strazzere
    Visit my website: AllThingsQuality.com to learn more about quality, testing, and QA!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

[ QUOTE ]
    Apparently when writing a QA resume you need to include dang near everything you did even up to turning on the computer properly.

[/ QUOTE ]

I find those types of resumes annoying to read. I would rather see a concise resume that shows only important and relevant information.

(im sure others feel different).

I actually keep 2 versions of my resume... one high level.. summarized, and one with all the gory details of everything I have ever done or learned. I find the short one to be of more use and interest generally.

-Corey
    Corey Goldberg
    Homepage: goldb.org
    Twitter: twitter.com/cgoldberg
    Google+: gplus.to/cgoldberg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

thanks for the tips.

Advanced Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Sorry to hear that! There are jobs in the market and I am sure you won't find it difficult to get one.

As a recruiter/interviewer/manager, I normally look at the first page of resume. The first page of your resume should have details of your skills,tools & technologies, your experience and your education. Try to focus on the relevant skills part.

A nice resume can only get you short-listed. Otherwise, communication is the key to get a job. Communicate well, be confident, and find out about the job requirements. Do not write anything that you do not know.

Best Wishes.