Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Test Lab Management

To manage machines, images etc in a compatibility testing environment, do we have any Test Lab management products?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Test Lab Management

There are some tools out there

SlingShot from Akamai comes to mind. As well, you can utilize VMWare or Virtual PC/Server from Microsoft to control your systems without a streamlined interface.

Granted, those are all for virtual systems and there is another thread going on about being able to trust Virtual systems in testing on this board, but without Virtualization you are only going to be able to constantly throw hardware at the lab and hope you have what you need covered.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Actually Tony, Slingshot is no more. VMWare bought them and folded their product into their management product. But it looks good and there are several others on the market if that is truly what Mr Tested is looking for. I would suggest a Google on Virtual image manager.
    Personal Comment

Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.
    ~ Winston Churchill ~

...Rich Wagner

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Image Manager + any other fancy features related to test environment management is what I am looking for

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Thanks for that Rich - it was last year when I looked into SlingShot, and left it to rest after my company didn't want to spring for the funds.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Although I haven't tried it (yet), VMWare has been pimping their Virtual Lab Mananger product pretty hard. I saw a demo at VMWorld and it looked impressive. I am making plans to integrate it into my VI3 test environment as soon as time allows, to evaluate it. You can couple it with the free VMWare Server to manage your images. About a month ago they were offering free evaluations of Lab Manager, not sure if that is still valid or not.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Hi,

just a note: VMware Lab Manager is supported by Borland SilkCentral Test Manager.

This means you can
    - manage one or more Lab Manager servers
    - SCTM will (on test run) automatically deploy an associated configuration, run the tests, and undeploy it again
    - Also the LiveLink feature is supported (this means SCTM can create a snapshot of your configuration in a state when an error occured)

This is really great stuff, check it out!
    regards
    Reinhard
    Reinhard Holzner
    Product Manager
    SilkCentral Test Manager (SCTM)

Borland Software Corporation
    http://www.borland.com