Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

worst case scenario

Let me start by giving you some back ground information. I work for a hardware manufacture, where 6 months prior to my hire there was a QA Manager, and two QA Testers. Before I was hired, the QA Manager, and one of the QA Testers quit, which was the reason for moving me from Technical Support to QA. So it was me, and another junior QA to re-establish the QA department. Two months into my new career path the other junior QA tester left without notice. Meaning there was no knowledge transfer. Now I'm up a creek without a paddle.

SO -- I have categorized testing into product types, and listed each of the test plans for each product. I have gone through the network topology of each test lab environment, and have gone through all the information left around pertaining to QA. I have a alright understanding of how things are organized, but I'm struggling with what I did not learn from the other QA tester.

-- SO -- Any helpful advise? [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Northern Colorado

Re: worst case scenario

1. Training. Hopefully you have enough documentation as to what has been tested, and how, but the why will most likely be missing. If you are to help rebuild the group (as good or better than before) you will need help. Is the manager going to be replaced, or is your company's management content with their entire QA staff consisting of one person w/ ~6 months experience?
    2. Knowing why the others left. If company politics were involved, those same politics may affect you.
    Dan Brandow

Don't trust, just verify. - Stephen D. Levitt

Adding to Dan's post _ i would make sure that my resume was current.

Do they plan to fill the positions? or do they plan to continue as is.

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work" --Thomas Edison

SQA Knight
    Elanora Heights, NSW, Australia

Sounds like a career challenge, you could run like the rest. As long as they understand what has gone one and where you are, there should not be an issue as long as you have your wits about you. I suggest you set out a plan to address the current situation and the future direction, get your superiors to review it and sign off on it and work from there. If you get no support, then just ask them why they employ you at all. Its something you should be not afraid of doing because as far as I can tell (correct me if I am wrong) they need you more than you need them. Your in a position of power, try negotiating for as much as possible in terms of pay, conditions and any work improvements you want to implement.

On the counter view, have you looked into why these guys left ? Are they contactable, may be a beer or two would extract the reasons they left. Whatever you decide be armed with the facts.
    Robert Tehve

Perhaps you could bring in a consultant to get things going?
    Joe Strazzere
    Visit my website: AllThingsQuality.com to learn more about quality, testing, and QA!

Thanks for the input -- very helpful indeed. The reason why these QA people left was due to politics, and their dislike of how the company was restructuring. Its hard to keep motivated when the company is letting go of people in order to best serve the interest of investors, and the companies future. So I guess they thought, I better leave, before its me sort of thing.

So yes -- it is a career challenge. I thought of it as an opportunity really. I don't think I should run like the rest. I finally got out of support, and into something I would enjoy as a career path. I can't say anyone would hire me with only a couple months of experience, so I would probably be back answering phones.

With regards to rebuilding the team. HR and my Manager are actively looking for a new hire. My manager has even asked for my input as to what sort of person we should be getting. But as I am sure you already know, getting a new person, takes time, unless they fall from the sky and land in your lap.

None the less, this is going to be quite the experience. I either make it, or break it. I just hope my best is good enough [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

BTW -- There was mention of training. I have asked my Manager for qualified training, and they approved, but later on this year. I know I have seen a lot of QA courses out there. One of which is hosted at a local college. What would you guys/girls suggest I take as a newbie to QA? I would prefer to take courses online.

Thanks again for your input.

[ QUOTE ]
    BTW -- There was mention of training. I have asked my Manager for qualified training, and they approved, but later on this year. I know I have seen a lot of QA courses out there. One of which is hosted at a local college. What would you guys/girls suggest I take as a newbie to QA? I would prefer to take courses online.

[/ QUOTE ]
    This should probably be puled to a separate thread. For starters browse this forum: http://www.sqaforums.com/postlist.ph...mp;Board=UBB24 then search out courses that will teach you the fundamentals. QAI has a few.

Thanks Mary, and I appreciate you directing me to that posting area. I guess I was aiming my question to be relevant to my current situation. Having the fundamentals is always a good thing, and I know that must be a building block, but other courses based on the current situation may also be a benefit, hence the reason I posted within this single thread.

None the less -- there is lots of information scattered throughout this site, among others. Its fun going through it all, but very time consuming. I guess my lunch hours are not for casual readings any longer [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Anyway -- thanks for the input, by everyone.

Huntington Beach, Ca. USA

Are there any local QA user groups in your area? This is a great way to network with people, brainstorm, find people looking for work, and a great way to get involved in your new career!!

Also, from the QAI site (Mary/swt88 posted the link), you may find some local (or fairly local) QA seminars or symposiums that may be an option for you.

Good luck and welcome!! [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
    Laura Scharp
    SoCalGal - Defender of end user response times!

OH Great idea SoCalGal -- I totally forgot about user groups. I know with other industries, like security, there are monthly seminars that cost as much to cover dinner, and have some really neat topics to discuss. I'll see if their are such groups in the city. Thanks!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast