Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Manual Testing

Hey Yall,

I know that this might have been discussed before on these forums, but consider me a newb.

I have a task to manually test a build, consisting of a budget tool and a bunch of reports that spin off of it. Oracle back end. I have been given 3 months. It seems to me that most of the work will be functional testing.

Question:

Any tips on how to best structure my time and my testing strategy. There are already a bunch of test cases for the previous builds and they appear to be solid. Should i add on top of these cases? What would be your approach?

Thanks for any input.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Manual Testing

Since your title is Manual Testing, I am going to assume you have no access to an automated tool.

In addition, since you have been given three months, that you are on a contract working on an unfamiliar tool.

Finally, I am going to assume that new functionality is being added to the tool, as you continue testing.

Based on that, I would reccomend the following:

1. Run some of the larger existing (regression) cases, to help in the learning curve, and to ensure nothing major is wrong with the tool.

2. Then, read the planned changes (they will make more sense after seeing the tool in action, IMO), and staart writing the Test Cases for those items.

3. Go through ALL the old test cases, to confirm that none are impacted by the new features, and modify or create new based on company rules.

4. Run all the old cases that are expected to be impacted.

5. Run your new test cases based on the new features.

6. Run all the old cases that are not supposed to be impacted. (If you are running short on time, better that the area least likely to have a problem be the area not completely tested.)

This allows for you to test the new features in the style the company is accustomed to, and an order that will catch the most likely issues early on in the project.

Of course, many a three month contract gets extended, so you might have to revisit numbers 4, 5, and 6 more than once.

Good Luck!
    Aaron Fager
    Software Test Engineer

If builders built buildings the way programmers wrote programs, then the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Manual Testing

Excellent Advice and you nailed the nail right on the head about the contract [img]images/icons/blush.gif[/img] )

Thanks