Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Can a QA person of manufacturing industry switch to Software Testing

If a person is working as a QA Engineer in manufacturing industry and doing hardware testing of products & performance tests .Is it possible for him to switch to Software Testing industry if he has 3+ yrs of experience.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Can a QA person of manufacturing industry switch to Software Testing

Yes. The core principles are the same betwixt the two. If your hardware testing has included "firmware", that helps in terms of understanding the nature of software defects, since "firmware" is simply more tightly bottled software.

Many of the manufacturing standards translate easily to the software and systems industry, and vice-versa.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I did. I was in electronics, trouble shooting and testing are very transferrable skills.
    Personal Comment

Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.
    ~ Winston Churchill ~

...Rich Wagner

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I went from testing wool to software....anythings possible. The common factor is quality

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I did as well...Injection molded plastics, mostly, handles for refrigerators and stoves and such. You will want to pick up some programming skills, but if you can do real qa in manufactoring, that should not be a challenge. You will find that what we do here is more "art" and less "science" than what you are used to, but we try to push it a little closer every single day.

Good Luck,
    David

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Yes, s/he as a potential to succeed in Software Testing especially if s/he has the passion for quality. I myself did that [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] My first job was a process engineer for a semiconductor company, and yes I was able to survive the stressful world of semicon manufacturing for 3 and half years. And after that I got another job as a software test engineer [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] and now here I'm a Test Manager - hope this helps. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I know this helped me. I was an assembler who moved up to a Technician at my last company where I built, tested, troubleshooted and QCed the Lens Analyzer for Carl Zeiss Meditec. I'm glad to read that others have started out in manufacturing & went on to software testing. I've just started this week.
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I worked for Western Electric / Lucent for 15 years testing many of the switches used in the AT&T Long Distance Network. Made switch to Bell Labs to perform testing in the software development division. Techniques used and learned in HW testing in manufacturing provided the base for the transition to SW testing in BL. Been in SW testing for 10 years.