Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Career Change in QA

Hi experts,

Time has come for me to get all your valuable suggestions. I am presently working with a big MNC as a testing professional and currently hold 5+ years of experience. Over these years, I have changed nearly 4 companies. Couple of companies being the need of the hour to change. But now I got a very good offer in a good Financial based company and this is not a software development company. But the benefits are great and i have onsite opportunities as well to explore in a fresh project. Monetarily i am benefited on par with industry standard. But my question is that is it worth to jump from a software development company to a Financial based MNC company for our sort of domain (Testing/QA)? How will be my future if i take up this offer? Do it impede my growth in IT industry? Any other Software Company would consider me henceforth? Please suggest your valuable solutions to make a good decision.

Thanks a ton !!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Career Change in QA

Let me put it this way:

You call yourself "QA Professional" yet you have not been exposed to an actual end-user experience that would tell you much more about the need for testing than any amount of closeted experience in a vendor setting. You might be in for a surprise with respect to how little you know if you enter a new paradigm, which should be good for your personal growth.

A software vendor typically is pressed to put the product on the market. A software user is pressed to make sure the software works before they stake their reputation on it. Two totally different viewpoints, but the same tools and techniques are used to get the answers. One is not better than the other: it is important to have experience in both domains in order to truly be able to call yourself a QA Professional who can see both sides of the testing challenge.
    Frits Bos, PMP
    frits_bos@hotmail.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Be ready for some serious process flaws. While pure software companies may be goofed up, a non-software company that has development is generally worse. At least that is true based on my experience.

I am now in the world of finance. It is scary. Releases tend to be ad hoc rather than unplanned. Process is non-existent. Quality is tested in rather than built in.

I have not yet given up on attempting to make positive changes, but I can see it coming.
    Michael L. Hovan
    mrschovan@verizon.net

SQA Knight
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I have been in both worlds, and neither is perfect. I worked for a big financial for 4 years and 2 other COTS shops beforehand for a couple of years each. I would say it (working at the financial corp) did have a little bit of a damper on my career only from the standpoint of my position growth. The promotion process at that place was very slow, even when you did the OT and did an exceptional job. I know of a couple of others who had to threaten to leave to get promotions that they had earned (hard work and dedication). I left because I knew after 4 years that I was not going anywhere in the ranks because there was no where to go except the Test Managers job and my boss wasn't ready to leave just yet. I then went back into a COTS shop, and have done those or consulting for the last 10 years. I learned how to deal with the chaos I guess.

Also I took the job with the Financial corp. initially to get into a 'stable' work environment. My previous two companies had been bought out, one got closed and the other was restructured & became a political nightmare while people were protecting their asses.

So no matter where you go there is always something you like and dislike. You have to find where you 'best fit', and hope that it lasts for a while. This is a very transient industry, and the jobs are the same way. Here today and gone tomorrow.

Good luck to you in your decision.

Jim
    Jim
    -------------------------------------------
    For all the general stuff to know about QA/Test go here http://www.softwareqatest.com/

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I've worked for several large financial firms and if the pay and benefits are better, I would recommend you go ahead and try it. It will not negatively impact your credibility in the field; in fact, it might even improve it. Besides what has been brought up here, my only comment would be that large organizations that do not produce software as their major product sometimes lag behind significantly in terms of technology. But even that can be a good learning experience, and with every type of situation comes more experience to add to your resume.

Good luck.

- Linda

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Thanks for all your comments. Also the problem tied up with my current company is that the threat of retrenchment. Inspite of organization being so complex and big in nature, Job security is the question mark. That is also one of the reasons for me to look out. Please let me know, if the growth is good in financial organizations on par with Software Industry? Also, since I have been in product or service based IT companies is it better to decide to go for non-IT company now?

Would there be job security in Non-IT companies esp. the one i would like to explore (Financial related domain)?

Thanks again for the comments.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

But like to let you know that the nature of work and kind of project would be Testing related only. Thatz I would be working as "Sr Testing Engineer" in the software division of a financial company.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Hi,

I also worked in both types of companies. Looking back, I'm convinced that the type of company didn't influence my career but rather what I was doing during my time at those companies.

In general:
    Comparing job security, I have the impression that this is better in a financial company.
    Regarding growth, I feel this is better in a COTS company.

I wouldn't really take the decision only based on these things (although they are of course important), but look at the tasks you'll have to do: do you like the content at the financial company, then go for it. You'll learn a lot and if after some years you feel you do not grow fast enough, you have additional and important experience to look for another job where you might be able to grow faster.

Good luck!
    Kind regards,
    Steven Deneir
    www.geocities.com/belgiansqa

Flowing water never goes bad; our door hubs never gather termites.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Thanks for all your comments.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Job Security?

I worked as a full time employee at a financial company. I escaped the yearly down sizing. Ended up doing more and more work.

Best Job security is to work on your skills. Be flexible as to the type of work, QA, QC Business Analyst.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast