Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Under project pressure both client & your QA manager wants you to complete.....

Hi,

Here is one situation that I was given:

You have project which has a tight deadline i.e within a week you should complete testing, as you have pressure from management & clinet.

And your testing team is given up saying they cann't certify the project, as we have short deadline.

What would be your approach in solving this issue as a test lead?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Under project pressure both client & your QA manager wants you to complete.....

1. Fire the test team if they have given up.

2. Have a frank discussion with your management and obtain a definitive answer to the question "What is more important the release schedule or thorough testing?"

3. Dependent on the answer to the above question, you select your approach.

Advanced Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Under project pressure both client & your QA manager wants you to complete.....

What is your real task?
    Originally posted by sams:
    as you have pressure from management & clinet.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">I understand that there is a business case for this release.
    1)In this case you have to communicate clearly all risks associated with a shortened testing cycle.
    2)Redefine a scope of testing and get this new scope approved.
    3)Execute an approved subset of all test cases.
    4)Communicate your findings to managers.

And your testing team is given up saying they cann't certify the project ...
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">What is your definition of "certify the project"?
    Perhaps "certify a product"?
    Are you making a final decision on product readiness?
    Do you need to cover your own ***?
    In this case you can also use a previous approach with some modifications.
    Main principle: communicate and manage expectations!
    Yury
    Testing, Performance Testing, Performance Engineering

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Along with the above suggestions and as a sort of summary, I would say:

1. Use risk analysis to determine where the test team should concentrate its activities. Continue to review and revise this analysis as testing results and other information flows in.

2. Consider using exploratory testing techniques with your experienced testers to maximize the limited time available. See if you can bring in outside help from other departments to run any existing regression test procedures or such that do not require execution by an experienced tester.

3. Keep management and all stakeholders apprised on at least a daily basis of what your team is doing, why they are doing it, and the results to date (what has been tested and what issues/bugs have been raised).

4. Do not claim anywhere that you will ensure a specific level of quality, only that you are doing your best to detect any serious quality problems (and you cannot guarantee that you will find all of them in the allotted time).
    web site | [url=http://www.ebookworm.us/[/url]

[i]...Sound trumpets! Every trumpet in the host! / Sixty thousand, on these words, sound, so high the mountains sound, and the valleys resound.&lt;/i] (The Song of Roland)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Given this scenario, there is also a high probability that not all issues discovered will be dealt with (if you do not have sufficient time to do all high risk testing, where will you find time to regression test fixes etc?).
    I would therefore also get an agreement on delivering a "known Issues" list with the final delivery - this way the client knows that you have not "missed" things indicating lack of professionalism, you are being honest and admitting that you had insufficient time. This can be backed up by a release date for an interim "fix" release.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I'd create a simple risk assessment for each requirement and prioritize my testing based on assessment for each item under test.
    The ranking could be as simple as low, med, high & critical.
    At a high level explain the necessary timeframes for testing and the risks in not completing your testing tasks given the time frame given then put the responsibility of signoff on your QA Manager.
    Execute by priority!
    This is not an uncommon practice in RAD environments - in fact it's very common. As a QA manager I always prefer a bottom line presented in a simple non-layman format. Doing a simple risk assessment can take just a few hours, but can give you at a minimum a baseline to test against and will forewarn your client/PM of potential problems with condensing timeframes.
    You're goal as an analyst is not to be the bottleneck or the scapegoat when things go wrong.
    I believe this will help - it always has worked for me.
    good luck