Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Career in Testing

HI all,
    I need one more clarification regarding my career. I had been involved as a programmer, tester and also involved in quality processes for past 2.5 years of my IT career. Now I recently joined a new company to persue my career as "Test Engineer" (kind of streamlining my career). Currently I am in to PRODUCT TESTING (Scientific & Engineering products). I just wanted to know the scope of my career with respect to the kind of testing what I have been involved in. Am I required to know Testing tools & web testing methodologies for better prospects in my career. Can I get into big company (which focus on B2B eBIZ ecommerce) with the kind of exposure what I acquire currently.
    Please suggest me. I want Your valuable inputs. Thank you I remain.

Sathya

Testing --- Critical discipline of finding fault with the system

------------------
    Sathya Narayanan G

------------------
    Sathya Narayanan G
    Sathya Narayanan G

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Career in Testing

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by sathyanarain@yahoo.com:
    I just wanted to know the scope of my career with respect to the kind of testing what I have been involved in.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Responding to this point, it is somewhat hard to say what your scope is. Basically, it is as wide open as you wish to make it. Working in programming and testing can be very helpful because it lets you see both sides of the fence, so to speak. I also am a programmer but my career choice has been QA and/or test related positions. In general, I pay less attention to the titles (like "Test Engineer") and rather concentrate on what I have learned regarding various testing types and testing techniques.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Am I required to know Testing tools & web testing methodologies for better prospects in my career.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Knowing more can never harm you. So, by that logic, learning all you can is always a good thing. That is not to say you will apply it every place you go, but having a depth and breadth to your knowledge increases your chances (in some cases) of getting a job but, more than that, it increases your confidence in your abilities because you know you can apply your skill set in a variety of locations. As far as learning testing tools (such as automation tools), that can also be quite helpful but can be difficult to do unless you work at a company that has these tools (since buying them for yourself is usually out of the question). Many companies like these tools and, thus, learning them can be to your benefit.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Can I get into big company (which focus on B2B eBIZ ecommerce) with the kind of exposure what I acquire currently.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Again, it is hard to say. We basically only know that you have been doing things for 2.5 years, but what those "things" actually are, we have no real idea nor do we have any idea how well you do them. Certainly you can get into companies that do e-commerce as that is really just one aspect of testing a client/server type system/application. However, having said that, each company will have its own statements of what it will consider in terms of experience and knowledge from potential candidates.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Hi
    Now the most of the companies are focussing on the Testing or QA area.
    So I hope demand for QA people will increase.

And I don't know why tou are still in dilemma whether to choose QA or something else as you are already 2.5 years old in the Testing field.

And If you get workibng knowledge of some testing tool then it will definitely enhance your career.

Devender.

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Hi all,

Thanks for ur comments & inputs.

Will get to know things & strive hard to persue & advance my career in Testing.

Sathya

Testing --- Critical discipline of finding fault with the system

------------------
    Sathya Narayanan G
    Sathya Narayanan G

Points for Confirmed Friends

From my experience and information, the companies are too much qualtiy conscious now. I hope this nature will continue. There is the importance of Testing and Quality professionals. So dedicated professional in this arena will get a lot of openings. So my advice is to give the dedication to the profession you are doing. Collect as much information as you can. We can share all these acquired knowledge through this forum.
    -Sunil

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

sathyanarain@yahoo.com
    Please read the FAQ and post in the appropriate forum.

------------------
    Jean James, CSTE
    J.James Consulting, Inc.
    "I deliver what I promise, and I only promise what I can deliver."
    Jean James
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    I deliver what I promise, and I only promise what I can deliver.
    ------------------------------------------------------------