Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Can somebody give me a feedback on how to get my foot into the door of QA field!

Can somebody please give me a feedback how to get my foot into the door of QA field!

I have a BS in Computer Science which i got 3.5 years ago. And i only worked at Microsoft for 3 months. For the last 2.5 years, i have not been able to find a real consistent QA software testing job. Most of the QA job want be to have job experience in QA field already.
    What i need is a entry level software testing position. Can somebody please help me, and give me some feedback, on what i can do to get my foot into the QA field.
    I really appericiate that!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Can somebody give me a feedback on how to get my foot into the door of QA field!

You have a BS in Computer Science, worked for Microsoft for 3 months, yet haven't been able to find an entry level testing position for 2.5 years?

That seems difficult to believe.

Perhaps you are asking for too high a salary?
    You live in Seattle, right? Are there no entry level jobs around the NorthWest?

Have you gotten interviews in the last 2.5 years? Have they indicated any reason for turning you down?

Have you taken a hard look at your resume? Maybe there's something in there that is turning potential employers away?

What do you mean by "real consistent"?
    Joe Strazzere
    Visit my website: AllThingsQuality.com to learn more about quality, testing, and QA!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Can somebody give me a feedback on how to get my foot into the door of QA field!

My definition of "real consistent" meant having a job that I could go to work at least 25 hrs a week for at least 6 months. I have not even had that. For the last 3 years, i only worked in a software company for 7 days. Then they never needed anybody.

To the Companies, I never asked for a too high a salary. Everytime they ask for salary, i say, "negotiable" or 40-50k for an entry level qa position. So salary is not the issue.

I have had many interviews in the last 3 years face to face as well as on the phone. At the end they pretty much said, "sorry, we chose other candicate which had more experience, you didn't have as much "testing experience" as we wanted"
    How do i get that "testing experience" then ...
    [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]
    Yes, i live in Seattle, just curious, how do u know i live in seattle, because i don't think i mentioned it. I tried, hard, for the last 3 years, I could not find an entry level testing position. I don't know what to do, I am just frustrated. . .

Any help is appericiated!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Hi Tester,
    Don't get so frusted, See First check in which area u r lagging. Make Interview question list. Go through it. find out all satisfatory answers. Face interview very confidently.
    I am sure u will defintly will get a good JOB
    BEST OF LUCK
    kondhare

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

skondhare12, i am looking for a entry level position at seattle. I have already read about interviews and how to interview. The problem is the experience that i am lacking that i don't know how to gain! Company 99% of the time turn me down because of my lack of work experience in the field. As i mentioned, i only have 3 months of work experience in qa. I haven't been able to find any entry level qa or database position at seattle, wa. Can somebody please help me! I don't know what to do!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Tester726,
    I find the problem interesting, you want to be in this field, you have coding skills and you are living in an area that is screaming out for testers (Microsoft have over 300 vacancies according to the Microsoft People I met at StarWest), and the are a couple of Test Outsource labs in the area (Quardev Laboratories and Volt, Volt also mention 300+ Jobs for testers that could code.) in the area.
    From the little information given, you seem to be doing most of the right things, You have a desire to test and you are looking to gain an entry level position.
    If it is an experience issue have you tried attending some local forums on Testing and getting your name know (www.sasqag.org) being one that might be worthwhile to build a network. I know there is another in the area too, but I cannot remember the link, sasqag have a jobs board both situations open and for people looking so it might be worth looking there.
    If it is a lack of explicit testing have you looked at getting involved in Beta Testing as a way of getting exposure or testing on an opensource project?
    Two good frameworks for getting automated testing experience of Beta releases spring to Mind, WATIR and Selinium, the former is at sourceforge the later at Thoughtworks site.
    Not much more I can offer as I am UK based and so I do not know the US market that much - I just met a lot of people from Seattle at StarWest.
    Another possible is looking to get certification as another foot through the door, I am not a big advocate of bits of paper, however it will show you are trying to build your skills in this area even if you do not have a testing job longer term yet.

[ 12-06-2004, 03:22 AM: Message edited by: neill_mccarthy ]
    ------
    Regards,
    Neill McCarthy
    Agile Testers of the World UNIT!

For more contextual Musings visit http://www.testingreflections.com/ and now at http://www.sqablogs.com/neillmccarthy/
    ---

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Originally posted by Tester726:
    Yes, i live in Seattle, just curious, how do u know i live in seattle, because i don't think i mentioned it.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">Sorry, I should have mentioned - it was in your Profile.

It's odd that companies would ask for more experience for an entry-level job.

There are a fair number of entry-level openings here on the East Coast for which you might be qualified. I'm surprised there aren't any in your area.

Best of luck.
    Joe Strazzere
    Visit my website: AllThingsQuality.com to learn more about quality, testing, and QA!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

neil, can u please give me some description and details on how I can get involved in Beta Testing or testing on an opensource project?
    Also,
    You mentioned, "...testing experience of Beta releases spring to Mind, WATIR and Selinium, the former is at sourceforge the later at Thoughtworks site." Is that English? [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] ? so many names and terms that i have never heard or read before.

Thanks for any extra information!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Originally posted by Tester726:
    neil, can u please give me some description and details on how I can get involved in Beta Testing or testing on an opensource project?
    Also,
    You mentioned, "...testing experience of Beta releases spring to Mind, WATIR and Selinium, the former is at sourceforge the later at Thoughtworks site." Is that English? [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] ? so many names and terms that i have never heard or read before.

Thanks for any extra information!
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">Well kind of English [img]images/icons/blush.gif[/img]
    Sorry I missed some of the contextual elements that would have helped them make more sense...just do not let Rich_W know that I slipped in that way I will never hear the last of it [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
    WATIR is an opensource project and as described by Bret Prettichord, "Paul Rogers and I are leading the development of WATIR, an new open source tool for testing web applications. It is a part of the Web Testing in Ruby (WTR) project, initiated by Chris Morris. Other contributors have been Brian Marick, Jonathan Kohl and Andy Tinkham.".
    The best contextual link for this is http://www.io.com/~wazmo/blog/archives/2004_08.html which contains a lot of useful information on the tool and its usage.
    Selenium can be found on the following URL: http://selenium.thoughtworks.com/index.html
    This is another opensource testing tool, though it is currently an in-house project at ThoughtWorks, a leading company in Agile Methods with a global present and the new home of Bret Prettichord. ThoughtWorks can be found on the URL:
    www.thoughtworks.com
    There are some excellent articles on this site and on the concepts of Agile and its practical application.
    Sourceforge can be found on the following URL: www.sourceforge.net/
    This is a significant and large repository of opensource projects and there are many that can add value to your testing effort so that you can load these up for Free and Beta Test to your hearts content and add vaulable information back into the open source community and the project community tool.
    For an excellent article/ presentation on Beta Testing and some excellent articles in general to be fair, though i might be a bit biased here as Alan Richardson has been an informal mentor for a number of years, the URL:
    http://www.compendiumdev.co.uk/default.php
    This is the home of compendium developments, Alan's company, it is the EuroStar 2003 talk, he is a regular and interesting speaker so it is worth checking this out for some ideas.
    Finally for other chances for Beta Testing there are a couple of sites that take registration or a google search on beta test registration comes back with over a million pages, so there ae likely to be some open projects on there that still want beta testers [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

[ 12-09-2004, 01:28 AM: Message edited by: neill_mccarthy ]
    ------
    Regards,
    Neill McCarthy
    Agile Testers of the World UNIT!

For more contextual Musings visit http://www.testingreflections.com/ and now at http://www.sqablogs.com/neillmccarthy/
    ---

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Oh, No, Neill has slipped again, lack of context = minus 2 points!
    Personal Comment

Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.
    ~ Winston Churchill ~

...Rich Wagner

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast