Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

QA Manager

Hi All,
    I'm applying for a QA manager position and like to know what questions are asked in the interviews.
    thanks
    advtest

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: QA Manager

Please search before asking. Here: http://www.qaforums.com/ultimatebb.p...;f=15;t=000343

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Thanks Damian,
    Sorry I didn't do the advance search.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I'll take it one step further -

With you asking for questions realted to the job you are applying for, are you truely sure you are ready fro a management position?
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Yep, I want to know if there are any new questions besides the ones I know of.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Do you know the one about, "Why do you think you are qualified for this position?"?
    Or, "how much experience do you have?".
    Maybe, have you ever taken any management training, or accounting classes? They will want to know how you reason things out, how you think, and how you manage people. Are you a micro or macro manager? How do you handle stress, personal conflict, and training. Just a few possibilities. Though Testing is more or less a requirement for a test manager, a non-tester could successfully manage a test team also. A manager is a manager is a manager.
    Personal Comment

Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.
    ~ Winston Churchill ~

...Rich Wagner

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Good God, Rich, I couldn't disagree with you more. I don't think a non-tester could manage a test team. At least not well. Furthermore, I think his/her own people would pretty much want them dead in a very short time.

The very nature of the testing function causes some measure of conflict. If you don't have a commitment to quality, don't understand the work, don't know right away how to solve particular common testing problems, I think you're pretty much hosed. And managing testers or QA staff is NOT LIKE managing other areas. If you even make a typo on a document, you don't get one comment - the entire team points out your mistakes. And you have a Real Problem if you try political or managerial "rah-rah" crap on a test team. They're trained to notice discrepancies or things that don't add up and to report them. Some managers are incapable of dealing with a group of people trained to be direct and/or honest.

Argh.

- Linda

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Linda,

I agree and disagree with you. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

A good manager can learn what they need to know about the technical aspects of testing. It also depends on the team if you have good people that the manager can depend on it can work.

A bad manager will not work no matter how much testing or QA experience they have. A bad manager can drive away good people.

I would definatly agree with you that someone without a commitment to quality will fail. I think though that if someone has that commitment and they are good at managing people that they can succed. It may take a little while for them to be fully proficent but that is what training is for and it is a lot easier to teach good QA practices than it is to teach good managment IMHO.

SQA Knight
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I'm gonna throw some gasoline on this fire.

I strongly believe the most effective Test Manager's are those who come up through the ranks in testing. Why, because they have lived the day to day insanity of the work. Now this doesn't mean they should become a manager, just that that extra work knowledgebase gives them an edge over other people.

Now what is also needed to be a good Test Manager is, IMO, is political and communication savy. Sorry folks, but when you are in a Test Manager position you will be dealing with other groups (besides your own) in political situations and needing to communicate effectively or you're road kill.

To me being a Test Manager means being ying and yang. You need the 'street cred' of testing experience to manage your people, and the business smarts (politics and communication) to get respect from your peers in other areas. I know, been there and done that. I came up through the ranks in testing. Got my first manager job and failed because I didn't have the business savy. I could talk technical all day, but when it came to business related things I was DOA. It has taken me about 7 years of being in Project Management, Lead positions and personal learning on business management & processes to gain more of the business work knowledge I need.

The best test manager I ever saw / worked for was at one of my first jobs. This guy was both testing knowledgeable (process/methodology & experience) and business savy (you don't want to play poker with this guy if you want to keep your house) along with his people management skills (he was tough, but fair and told you what he wanted done and by when). I wished I had learned more from him, but I was young (stupid) and we were building a new test department so we both were working our asses off (he building the group up, me getting a product ready to go out the door). I did learn a lot of the technical things from him, but not enough of the business side.

So... looking at all the previous posts on this thread we have a list of:

1) Testing knowledge & experience
    2) Project and people management knowledge & experience
    3) Personal skills, political and communication
    4) Commitment to quality
    5) Business knowledge & experience

Yeah... an animal of many stripes.

Jim
    Jim
    -------------------------------------------
    For all the general stuff to know about QA/Test go here http://www.softwareqatest.com/

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Jim,

I agree 100%. Maybe I'm prejudiced - I also came up through the ranks. And I've had many managers during the course of my career that knew nothing about QA/QC.

For example, a Very Large Banking concern in the states believed that *any* good manager could manage *any* group of people. The entire IT department was littered with great banking managers that didn't know squat about IT. It was a Debacle of the Highest Order. 400 million dollars, several years, and many failed projects later, they changed their requirements for IT managers. Including QA/QC.

- Linda

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast