Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Why 17th inch for testing

Dear all,

How can we differnciate the 15th inch monitor and 17th inch monitor.
    I mean, what are the main factors in 17th inch monitor that force us to use 17th inch for testing purpose.
    Can we say testing team gets benefits if it works on 17th inch, if "YES' then "HOW'?

Which will be main points that we can use for testing purpose of any application by using 17th inch monitor?

Thanks in advance
    Bhagyashri

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Why 17th inch for testing

Hi bhagya...

Iam listening first time about 15-inch and 17- inch monitors for testing, any how something interested topic.
    I think size doesn't matter, incase u find any difference please let me know.
    Hav a gud day

Regards,
    Kiran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Bhagyashri,

The difference is not to do with the monitor but the display resolution for GUI testing. Thus if you create a test, particularly a recorded script, at one resolution, the chances are that it will only work at that resolution.

What you find is that smaller screen sizes, such as 15', lead people to use lower resolutions, say 1024x768, whereas larger monitors lead people to use higher resolutions. You will also need to keep the colour depth the same, and the Windows theme (e.g. Windows XP or Windows Classic, font sizes, etc...)

Regards,

Shane

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Thanks Shane for this point ..but is there anything more..

Thanks,
    Bhagyashri

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

What is the context and source of the question? Who is asking? Is this for testing hardware, software, or both?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Originally posted by Nnicky:

I think size doesn't matter,
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">I'm trying very hard not to say what I'm thinking.

anyway, back on topic.. the size of the monitor doesn't matter much for your functionality testing. The main thing to worry about is screen resolution and it's d@mn near impossible to test 1600x1200 resolution on a 15" monitor. However, if you're testing the GUI and doing some usability testing, you might want to see what it looks like on the smallest, cheapest monitor around to get an idea of what your customer might see if that's the monitor he has.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Dear Jake,

It's with software.
    Q is : During Software testing, really how 17 inch moniter matters?

Thanks,
    Bhagyashri

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Still, you need to provide more context. Why? (just a few of many considerations) To a person with a vision-limiting disability, size matters. To a person who cannot distinguish colors easily, the size along with the available scan rates will make a huge difference. Bad scan rates and flicker severity can trigger convulsions and/or nausea in some people just as a strobe light may. Some the above fall into usability and hardware domains.

So, what is the context of the question and who is asking? Have you listened to the other respondents and considered their answers as well?

[ 01-12-2006, 05:56 AM: Message edited by: JakeBrake ]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

For old testers like Me and Jake, the 19" & 21" work a whole lot better. In our case, the bigger the better!
    Personal Comment

Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.
    ~ Winston Churchill ~

...Rich Wagner

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Rich, I still need a magnifying glass with the 21". That and my coke-bottle-end glasses put about 4 inches of glass between me and the monitor. Throw in a beer betwixt me and it and put on Blondie's Heart of Glass and we're talkin' lotsa glass.

So uh Bhagyashri, have you given this any of your own thought? Have you considered the requirements? Have you considered the type of application that the monitor will winodw? (<-- huge point)

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast